bios gpu driver

tailor

supposing the bios in my recently acquired dl580 g5 doesn't recognize my gpu, will installing drivers on the os help?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly are you experiencing? Do you have a dedicated card? Generally bios won't list what video card you have. If you can boot into windows with the video card, then its working and you just need to install the correct driver to get the performance.

tailor

well i have an onboard card which works fine. ubuntu server 16 running fine. i basically want to get this card up for data processing purposes. unfortunately it doesn't automatically display. it does take over from the onboard. obvious problems thus are either power limitations or unsupported. i have 1200 watts of power so that shouldn't be the problem, the gpu runs off the pci directly so there could be some uncertainties there i have overlooked. otherwise, it might just be that the present bios version doesn't contain the necessary data, unfortunately the only possible update requires hp entitlement registration which i haven't figured out how to acquire just yet as my machines are second hand

tailor

to some extent indeed. mostly just an experiemnt at this point but i'll get it while the gettin is good if i can. running, due to certain system limitations, xfx rx550 4gb slim