bios lock?

noob89

i have a intel mobo that i took out of my parents computer cause there power supply went bad and they just went out and bought a new computer, and i was looking at it and in the bottom right corner there is a little blue jumper and on the bord right next to it it says bios config, could this be the lock that keeps me from being able to access bios?
biosjumper2.jpg

edit: also on the board it says bios config 1-2= normal and 2-3= config and no jumper= recovery

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
If the power supply went bad replace the power supply... not reset the CMOS. How do we know this is your computer? Dunno if this is against forum rules.

Geoff

VIP Member
You can get into the BIOS by pressing F2 or DEL. That jumper clears the CMOS and resets all the BIOS information, so it would clear the password on the BIOS if there was one enabled.

I'm talking about the blue jumper by the way, not the black one.

noob89

If the power supply went bad replace the power supply... not reset the CMOS. How do we know this is your computer? Dunno if this is against forum rules.

they already bought a new computer so i striped theres of all the parts and u didnt answer my question.

proof.jpg

noob89

[-0MEGA-];707249 said:
You can get into the BIOS by pressing F2 or DEL. That jumper clears the CMOS and resets all the BIOS information, so it would clear the password on the BIOS if there was one enabled.

I'm talking about the blue jumper by the way, not the black one.

thank you omega

so would i be able to clear the password intel put on this motherboard (out of an emachines)

Geoff

VIP Member
Intel wouldnt have put a password on the BIOS, it would have been setup by either your parents, or by someone else who had access to your PC.

There are basically two ways of resetting the BIOS, one is to move the jumper over to the left one. (From the looks of it, there is a visible pin on the far left of the blue jumper, so move the jumper so there is one pine visible on the right.) Make sure the power supply is unplugged/turned off, not just the computer off, then keep it that way for about 10 seconds, return the jumper to the original position, and the BIOS should have been reset.

If that isnt the correct jumper and doesnt work, you can also remove the battery you see for about 10 minutes with the computer unplugged.

noob89

Yes by taking the jumper out or the battery out you will clear the password.

:confused:

Oh and the pic convinced me :D sorry for my first post :(

its ok i understood where u were coming from

and so if i moved the jumper and started up my computer i would be able to access bios by pressing f2 or delete? therefor making it possible for me to overclock on a stock mobo?

Geoff

VIP Member

and so if i removed the jumper and started up my computer i would be able to access bios by pressing f2 or delete?
You should be able to enter the BIOS now by pressing F2, DEL, or whatever button is needed to enter the BIOS. The only way resetting the jumper will do anything is if there is a password preventing you from entering the BIOS.

And just as a note, during the POST (event that occurs first after turning the PC on), should tell you what button to press to enter the Setup.

oscaryu1

VIP Member

and so if i moved the jumper and started up my computer i would be able to access bios by pressing f2 or delete? therefor making it possible for me to overclock on a stock mobo?

You MIGHT be able to overclock. I heard that some motherboard dont even support or block out the overclock options...

noob89

ok i went to the bios menu and i have a question it said somthing like hyper threading technology enabled or somthing like that .,..what is that? should it be inabled or disabled

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
ok i went to the bios menu and i have a question it said somthing like hyper threading technology enabled or somthing like that .,..what is that? should it be inabled or disabled
If your processor supports HT, then leave it enabled. HT acts as a logical dual-core processor, using the unused clock cycles from the processor and creating a second logical core. It's no where near as good as a true dual-core, but it does help in multitasking.

I believe your processor does have HT, so leave it enabled.