BIOS reset on first time startup

Cyalume

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

When I booted it up for the first time, it alerted me that the BIOS had been reset. I told it to load the default optimum settings, and now it skips the BIOS screen entirely and says:

Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Should I continue installing my OS as usual, or is something wrong?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If its a blank hard drive, then you are fine. The hard drive won't boot because there is no operating system installed. Does the bios detect the hard drive?

Sophocles

VIP Member
It's about settings

"Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

For future reference, adjust settings in bios. If you have more than one hard disk then sometimes bios could fail to load it. Turn power off, and then restart, hit delete or whatever takes you to setup, and once in bios check to see if your disk is listed. Go to boot order and make it number 1. I've had this same issue time again and usually my primary disk is older than my storage disks.

If you have easy access to disconnection your storage disk then unplug it until your primary disk has loaded.

If it's a first time load then remove all install discs, thumb drives, and disable every drive but the primary disk.

Darren

Staff member
When you first boot your computer it's most likely going to have the HDD as the first boot option. The way the boot order works is the motherboard will start at the beginning of the list and attempt to boot off of each one until it gets something that will boot. When you're first installing your OS you want to switch your disc drive (or USB stick if that's how you're installing) to your first device. Once it's installed go back in and set your boot order to the drive you installed your OS on.

That message is basically telling you the HDD is empty and it wants you to insert something that it can install an OS from.