BIOS update - stupid ??

ProgMtl

VPU Recover is at the bottom of the list...I just checked and I have the latest driver for my card...

Tayl

VIP Member
Hmmm that's surprisingly odd. Unless your model card doesn't support the feature (Which I think most do). Take a look at the screenshot below of my Catalyst Control Center. Other than that I'm not entirely sure how else you could check your cards GPU temps.

cccdc3.jpg

Breaks.

ProgMtl

Nope...still doesn't have it....maybe because its AGP?

How do you like the X1950?

The new system I'm building has Crossfire in it (not that I'd ever use it because I'm not a gamer...I just do heavy computer drafting....but if I ever did want to play a game I guess I would have the technology)

How od you do a "screen shot"

ProgMtl

Well I have to get up at 1am to go to work...so I'll attempt to deal with this tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

Tayl

VIP Member
That's probably why you can't see your temperatures then. Because your card doesn't have a sensor to read the temp on it. Hmm, try opening the case and plonking (placing) a large desk fan pointing directly on top of the graphics card and CPU. Run your system with the desk fan blowing into the computer and see if it locks up again. By the sounds of it though I wouldn't have thought it would be a temp problem especially with it doing it so early into the boot up. Sounds more like a hardware issue somewhere. Did you flash the BIOS before (or has someone else for you)? If not, and you haven't had this issue since having the machine I'm going to guess it's not BIOS related. More hardware failure than anything.

:: Edit ::

The HIS Excalibur edition of the X1950 Pro is a very nice card. Runs smooth and barely hits over 45C even under heavy load. A little large in size though within the case and cable management around it is impossible lol. Performance wise the card seems very good yet I don't get quite as much FPS out of it in game as I would like. I get around 130FPS on CS Stress Test with everything on high including the filtering on Max so I'm not sure if thats good for that card or not.

Breaks.

ProgMtl

Go figure....the thing's been working like a champ all day!!...never fails, huh?

There is a 99% chance that I'll never use the Crossfire on board the new mobo...was either thinking of getting the X1950 or a 8800GTS...which would you guys recommend? (not a gamer but I do heavy computer drafting with up to 2gb files at times)...I know if I get an ATi card I can always use the Crossfire if I need to.