BIOS Updates

How do I update BIOS? I need to update for use of an E6850 in a P35-DS3R, I think it comes with F2 or F3, not for sure, but I need to go to F4. A bit of help, plz.

Thanks

Tayl

VIP Member
Gigabyte offer a tool on their website that allows you to flash your BIOS via your desktop running their application. Or at least they do for my motherboard, which I'm sure they will for yours too. Might be best checking on their website first. You may need to download the BIOS version image first before doing it as I can't recall if it has a feature which automatically downloads the latest BIOS release for your motherboard or not.

:: Edit ::

Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure if it was my Asus motherboard or my current Gigabyte board that I used the desktop flash program for. Might be worth a check on the Gigabyte website anyway as I'm sure most motherboard manufacturers offer this tool now days.

Rove.

Gigabyte offer a tool on their website that allows you to flash your BIOS via your desktop running their application. Or at least they do for my motherboard, which I'm sure they will for yours too. Might be best checking on their website first. You may need to download the BIOS version image first before doing it as I can't recall if it has a feature which automatically downloads the latest BIOS release for your motherboard or not.

Rove.

Q Flash? I can install the BIOS update after Vista is completely installed, correct?

Tayl

VIP Member
Providing their tool is already Vista supported, yes. Of course always research into the tool before using it for any helps and tips before doing it to ensure a safe flash.

Rove.

Last edited:
Okay, so I won't need the BIOS update before I install Vista, to make the CPU work correctly and the install work right?

Thanks

Tayl

VIP Member
From what I recall it may have been my Asus motherboard that I flashed the BIOS on. Basically what I done with that was, after having everything installed nicely and running fine (OS, all software, all games, all drivers etc) what I had to do was install the manufacturers BIOS flashing tool, run it, select the image file that I wanted to flash to (as they required you to download the latest BIOS release image file first to your computer) and simply click on 'Flash Now'. It shown a progress bar, completed and restarted. That was it. Flash complete.

I can't imagine Gigabytes being any different.

Rove.

Tayl

VIP Member
On the UK Gigabyte website. I went to: Support >> Motherboard >> Utility, and found this page by clicking on the "@Bios" link.

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/tech_a_bios.htm

I'm guessing this is what application you use for BIOS flashing on Gigabyte boards. According to that application it'll download the latest BIOS release for you automatically if you haven't downloaded it yourself manually. Note: Make sure you do download the correct BIOS for your make of motherboard as a faulty flash (wrong BIOS, interruption upon flash etc) can cause your system to become unbootable.

Rove.

Tayl

VIP Member
if the bios update is for the 6850 support then you will need to do it the old fashion way.

Why would you? What's wrong with the @Bios way? lol StrangleHold just posted mine before yours. And oops, my apologies for the double post, thought I edited it not posted a fresh post.

Rove.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its 50-50, sometimes they wont boot with a unknown processor, sometimes they will and just call it a unknown processor. If it wont boot, it doesnt matter if you have a floppy or not. You will have to have them send you a updated bios chip or find another processor to get it to boot.

Tayl

VIP Member
Oh I see why Kof said that now, after having read your post. Can't he just Flash his BIOS using @Bios using his old CPU, then after the initial restart, shutdown, remove his old processor placing his new one in, booting up with the new one and it working fine due to the BIOS update already having been done?

Rove.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yes that would work. But if you just had the new processor and the computer would not boot, the floppy method would not work either. If it wont boot your screwed either way, you will have to find another processor that works or get a new updated bios chip

Last edited:

Tayl

VIP Member
Then the easiest method would be the one I suggested I would have thought. Using the desktop application suggested, restarting then shutting down, removing the old and in with new, CPU that is. StrangeHold have you actually used that @Bios before? Is it any good / does it do the job fine? Did you use the 'download latest BIOS version' feature or did you manually download the image file yourself?

Rove.

Would someone mind explaining this to me instead of confusing me with methods? I have a P4 541 chip that will run on F3(stock) BIOS, what will I need to do here?

Can anyone predict a method?

Thanks

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
If the computer boots download the new bios and save it, install gigabytes @bios, run it and direct it to the new bios you downloaded and saved.