Bitcoin Mining

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABenz99

So I've recently discovered bit coin mining, and am interested in starting a mine of my own, I love building computers, experimenting with different hardware, etc. and I think this will be a great way to earn profit. I was online the other day looking for GPUs and other hardware to build my mine, and I came across this http://www.butterflylabs.com/monarch/. I've done some research that says this can mine over 6 bitcoins per month! My only question now is what's the catch? This seams like a little too much money for doing essentially nothing, and the card will pay for itself in 2 weeks. Is there something I'm missing, or can it not actually mine that fast? Also, if anyone has any recommendations on other hardware to consider, please tell me!

PCunicorn

The catch is you have to spend over two thousand dollars. Also, in 6 to 8 months this will be relatively weak and wont mine very well. This happens with all ASIC miners, once this speed becomes mainstream you will be mining way slower.

For example, a year and a half ago, people could only dream of 5 gigahashes. Now, you might make 0.001 bitcoin a day.

Last edited:

ABenz99

Is it a good investment though, I know it's an expensive start, however it will pay for itself, and eventually earn profit. That's sort of why I'm asking, If I'm going to spend over 2,000; I want to make sure I will get something from it.

C4C

There was a recent thread on this.. The overall verdict was that you'll probably spend the same amount on energy costs as you'll get back in a virtual currency...

PCunicorn

You'll make your money back pretty quickly. But as these start to flood the market, you won't make to much.

And Digxt, no. A whole school with low end PCs won't be worth it in power. 4 5870s won't be worth it with power. But a 300w 600GHs miner won't use too much power at all.

ABenz99

What I'm concluding here is that buying one is fine (I'll earn the money back eventually), but I shouldn't expect to make much profit off it.

PCunicorn

Well no, I would expect to make a reasonably large profit off it until Bitcoin either crashes (if it does) or these become mainstream

G80FTW

There is no such thing as free money. Money comes at a cost, ALWAYS. I used to play a game called Second Life. Was fun for a bit, had its own virtual currency which could be converted for real money. However, at the end of the day it would only make me $20/month at best. Which to me wasnt worth the time to even play with it. There was a story about ONE person who supposedly made a good living on Second Life however I think it was just a scam to get more people on it. I could not see any real profit in any of these kinds of things.

G80FTW

And this isn't free money either. It's $2200.

So your saying that with an initial investment of $2,200 you will "quickly" see profit from that? How quick are we talking? Because I would assume that if you could make say $4,400 after 2 months then everyone would be doing it and it would quickly fall apart.

If thats the case, I would quit my job and just build computers and mine with them. But I really could not see the investment worthwhile. Even on Second Life the developers claimed only 233 people made $5,000 in a year. And Im sure those people spent every waking moment on the game something I would not be prepared to do.

PCunicorn

Did Second Life require any risky investment? That's the problem with bitcoin, and why even the people who do it and make good money don't quit their jobs. Its extremely risky.

G80FTW

Did Second Life require any risky investment? That's the problem with bitcoin, and why even the people who do it and make good money don't quit their jobs. Its extremely risky.

Well is it extremely risky or can you expect to make a large profit quickly? Because right now I am confused.

FuryRosewood

Secondlife economy is relatively stable compared to bitcoin. The linden may vary by maybe a few percent, but doesn't swing by 100s of dollars.

Current exchange rate is about 240L$ to a buck. Which is about what it was about 6 months ago. There were times when people were flooding the market with linden and artificially deflating the price, but there has been limits put in to stop this from happening now. With Bitcoin i see it as a rich mans market, Litecoin is where its at right now, far easier to get with off the shelf hardware however you still can get swings in price that bitcoin gets, but its not several hundred dollars, but 10ish at the most.

-Secondlife member for since Feb 2006

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
So your saying that with an initial investment of $2,200 you will "quickly" see profit from that? How quick are we talking? Because I would assume that if you could make say $4,400 after 2 months then everyone would be doing it and it would quickly fall apart.

That.

I equate the people who believe that spending money to mine Bitcoins will somehow earn them profit to the people who watch the "buy my book and start earning $70k in 6 months by only working part-time from home" infomercial at 2AM. Bitcoins are *created*, not "mined". Mining implies there are a limited number of them and it's a race to see who can collect the most. Gold is mined, diamonds are mined...BC's are released to fuel the market for people who spend insane amounts of money to have better hardware specs to get a few more... When it crashes, and it *will* crash, anyone invested in them that didn't sell will be sadly disappointed.

I think the OP is gravely mistaken how much profit that card will generate. Keep in mind, the company is trying to sell you a product, in this case a very expensive product. If you have $2200 in on-hand throw-away cash then get it. If you don't, don't. Just don't be surprised if sometime in the near future the realization sinks in that you bought a $2k+ paperweight.

Okedokey

The issue with Bitcoin is that the more users and the more time goes on the algorithm gets more and more complex and the difficulty rises exponentially. There is no money to be made any more in bitcoins, look at another cryptocurrency.

PCunicorn

That.

I equate the people who believe that spending money to mine Bitcoins will somehow earn them profit to the people who watch the "buy my book and start earning $70k in 6 months by only working part-time from home" infomercial at 2AM. Bitcoins are *created*, not "mined". Mining implies there are a limited number of them and it's a race to see who can collect the most. Gold is mined, diamonds are mined...BC's are released to fuel the market for people who spend insane amounts of money to have better hardware specs to get a few more... When it crashes, and it *will* crash, anyone invested in them that didn't sell will be sadly disappointed.

I think the OP is gravely mistaken how much profit that card will generate. Keep in mind, the company is trying to sell you a product, in this case a very expensive product. If you have $2200 in on-hand throw-away cash then get it. If you don't, don't. Just don't be surprised if sometime in the near future the realization sinks in that you bought a $2k+ paperweight.

Bitcoins are limited, but as you said, aren't exactly mined. I made a post about it before.

G80FTW

Bitcoins are limited, but as you said, aren't exactly mined. I made a post about it before.

How can they be limited? Are they a physical product? If not, then they are not limited. Like the other guy said, I think its just a marketing scheme to get people to buy a product. Its a pretty stupid marketing scheme if you ask me, but I also have no interest in finding out if it actually works. Much like the other guy said, I also dont buy those peoples books who supposedly hold the secret to making money that no one but them knows about.

Your saying a company is willing to pay people to solve "math problems"? There is no logic in the whole thing at all. I watched the video on their site, its hogwash.

Last edited:

Okedokey

How can they be limited? Are they a physical product? If not, then they are not limited. Like the other guy said, I think its just a marketing scheme to get people to buy a product. Its a pretty stupid marketing scheme if you ask me, but I also have no interest in finding out if it actually works. Much like the other guy said, I also dont buy those peoples books who supposedly hold the secret to making money that no one but them knows about.

Your saying a company is willing to pay people to solve "math problems"? There is no logic in the whole thing at all. I watched the video on their site, its hogwash.

Dude you really have to stop acting like you know anything, because here we are, yet again, and you're wrong. You say its stupid, how could it be like that and in the same breath, i wont actually educate myself... unbelievable. bitcoins work just like the United States dollar. Once it was separated from the value of gold, it has a virtual value. Sigh... they're no more or less a currency than the worthless piece of paper you call a dollar. Unless someone honours that worth... and they're in demand.

There has to be a limit of supply, otherwise there is no value on demand. Basic economics. The algorithm of bitcoins means that Bitcoins are created at a decreasing and predictable rate. The number of new bitcoins created each year is automatically halved over time until bitcoin issuance halts completely with a total of 21 million bitcoins in existence.

Last edited:

G80FTW

Dude you really have to stop acting like you know anything, because here we are, yet again, and you're wrong. You say its stupid, how could it be like that and in the same breath, i wont actually educate myself... unbelievable. bitcoins work just like the United States dollar. Once it was separated from the value of gold, it has a virtual value. Sigh... they're no more or less a currency than the worthless piece of paper you call a dollar. Unless someone honours that worth... and they're in demand.

There has to be a limit of supply, otherwise there is no value on demand. Basic economics. The algorithm of bitcoins means that Bitcoins are created at a decreasing and predictable rate. The number of new bitcoins created each year is automatically halved over time until bitcoin issuance halts completely with a total of 21 million bitcoins in existence.

If you get bitcoins from "solving math problems" then how is that a limited supply? What backs the bitcoin? Nothing? As far as I have seen, it is like any other virtual currency and its value rather than being placed on a physical commodity is instead based on demand of itself.

Basically what an economy is, is trade. You have a commodity, you trade that for another commodity. The bitcoin cannot be any form of an economy or currency because it has no base, was made up with no commodity to back it, and is limitless as far as I can see. I have somewhat educated myself on the matter, read their site watched the video on their site did other reading etc, however it all boils down to this:

It is NOT a real currency. Those who are using it as such, will soon see no value in it, because it itself has no value being a virtual currency. Its only value is in a computer where it was created. And then its value becomes a series of 1s and 0s.

Whats even more interesting is its tie with illicit activity:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...rom-ross-ulbricht-alleged-owner-of-silk-road/

Which is to be expected from a virtual currency.

Although, I would be interested to see the day when we can literally just make our currencies with no commodity and buy goods and services with it. Would be nice to live in an economy where everything was free. Oh if we thought the global economy was in trouble before....

To be honest, I havent taken one class in economics. But any high school graduate can tell you that a currency with no commodity is not a currency and an economy with no trade is not an economy. It has a virtual value. I like that. Its funny how you can say that and then tell me Im wrong when your saying exactly what I am and then following it with the exact opposite of that.

But like I said, I am no master of economics. And with the global economy going further in the toilet with each passing day perhaps a virtual economy based on nothing will save the world from itself.

http://moneymorning.com/2013/12/20/impact-bitcoin-u-s-dollar/

If politicians are scared of it I suppose it cant be that bad. But is it really a good idea to destroy an economy based on commodity and replace it with an economy based on virtual 1s and 0s? I think that is an even worse alternative than a default.

And one last thing, please explain the part to me again where this company thats sole purpose is to "solve math problems" is handing out a "limited" amount of FREE money to people who have to initially invest into said company? Thats my favorite part :)

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/13/technology/bitcoin-europe-regulation/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.