Bitlocker is broken on Windows 7 Ultimate, Latitude E5430 vPro, A21 is the bios version, tpm 1.2

hurricaneside

Operating Systems / Partitions:
Drive C: WIndows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) (933 GB)
Drive D: Windows 11 Pro (929 GB)

Windows 11 can manage bitlocker properly but Windows 7 all features are unoperatable which when I try to install a key or suspend protection, it says management is unknown type and only everything will work with windows 11. I can't even unlock my windows 11 bitlocker drive with Windows 7.

Visit here to see because image is too large to upload:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvjIKsZnCRkIgUybIcIApkyTXob7?e=kiULZz

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you have bitlocker enabled on windows 7? Maybe it can't read the windows 11 drive because it isn't compatible between bitlocker versions? I don't know. This is one reason why I won't never encrypt anything. Too many ways things can go wrong and you won't be able to access info.

hurricaneside

Did you have bitlocker enabled on windows 7? Maybe it can't read the windows 11 drive because it isn't compatible between bitlocker versions? I don't know. This is one reason why I won't never encrypt anything. Too many ways things can go wrong and you won't be able to access info.
it worked on Windows 7 with Windows 10 installed as the secondary bitlocker partition drive. I guess Windows 11 has higher bitlocker standards, that could be the case.

hurricaneside

I do need to encrypt the files I have because it is sensitive data. If I can’t use bitlocker in Windows 7 maybe I can upgrade it to windows 8 so I can continue to receive updates, I really don’t want to do that though. Start menu and the value of windows 7 for my computer is better, I’m happy with the functions windows 7 has to offer.

beers

Staff member
It's kind of silly to expose yourself to w7 vulns if you're caring about your data. I used classicshell for a while on win8, support for win8.1 is already deprecated as of January this year.

I don't think Win7 supports XTS-AES which is the default for w10/w11 which might explain not being able to open the more modern volume on the previous OS.

hurricaneside

Alright I found the root of the problem, I was performing the ideal action, since windows 7 was out of support I used windows 10/11 to copy files from the windows 7 drive using the different system. That wasn’t working as my drive was protected and potentially corrupted. So I tried booting windows 7 and that unfortunately worked, so it had to do with I guess only being able to copy the files from the same system using the same drive and now I was able to get the files copied. I guess I can say there is an issue with bitlocker to where I can only copy from my system with the encrypted drive. It’s just weird.