Bizarre DVD Writer Problems (Using Vista)

Hi,

I have 2 DVD Writers on my PC , 1 at the top and 1 below it. Now when I use the top drive it works fine, but the drive underneath it does not work and seems to hang the computer when I try and burn with it. I have swapped the order of the drives around and the same problems happens. What is strange, is that this problem only happens under Vista. If I install XP on the HD then there is no such problems. Plus, its only suddently started happenning and Foxconn who make my MoBo dont know what to suggest

Michael

Are you saying that when you swap the drives around that the problem still persists, within the same drive.. or the problem persists within the same 5.25" slot regardless of what drive is installed in it?

If it's the second situation, try replacing your IDE cable.. assuming you have IDE drives.

I had almost this exact issue last week, except I have 1x optical and 1x HDD in the same line and my computer hung and the monitor got all goofy, which forced me to hard reboot. It turned out to be a bad IDE cable, swapped it out and the problem is gone.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Are you sure you have the jumpers set right-Slave-Master or like makmillion said it could be a bad IDE cable