WIndows 10 Bizarre video problem persists after formats

Dimitri

At some point, for no apparent reason, my computer developed this problem that would happen on some boot sessions (by which I mean when you turn on your computer and until you restart it again) and not others. The problem was that when I played video files with VLC it would play audio and no video.

If I played the files with GOM it would play video, no audio and tell me I needed a coded. The codec it wanted was ffdshow. Installing ffdshow did nothing.

As I say, sometimes this problem wasn't present, but it might show up the next time I turned the computer on.

I got fed up with this so I figured I'd reinstall Windows. I reinstalled from windows (rather than booting from a bootable drive) and told it I didn't want to keep my files. This didn't quite do a format, it pretty much left everything on the win partition as is, except windows.

After this the same problem persisted, but there was an ADDED problem. On those occasions when video would not play normally, I ADDITIONALLY had a problem with online videos in FFox. Sound would play, no image (it would show the youtube player controls, but no video).

Chrome seemed to play videos if I had 1-2 videos open, if I opened 3 videos simultaneously the third would not show video, only audio.

So I figure, ok, let me do a full proper format of Windows partition and reinstall.

I did that, same exact problems.

Device Manager shows no problems with the graphics card. I'm running Win 10 1803.

Last edited: