black/blank screen until startup

bmtt

I'm having an issue with an Acer notebook of mine. When I switch it on, I get a black/blank screen (the computer is booting up still, and the HDD light is flashing like mad) until I get to the part where it logs in and makes the log-in sound, then, the screen works as normal. I've tried using an external monitor, and this solves the problem, I can see the full bootup, I just can't see it on the laptop monitor. It's obviously not a monitor issue as it works once it has booted. I've spent ages on Google trying things people suggest, but to no avail. Anyone got any ideas or solutions?

Charr

This is just a shot in the dark, but if you enter your bios, does the screen eventually power on? I believe to enter the bios on most Acer laptops is F2.

bmtt

Nope, I can only view bios with the external screen because the laptop screen is black. However if the external wasn't plugged in, I could still enter bios by pressing F2, I just wouldn't be able to see what I'm doing, so its like the screen is just off and the laptop is still functioning.