Black Border Around Freshly Built PC Screen?

xTobyMc

Literally just finished building my new PC and this is my first post ever on it! I'm running Windows 7 with the XFX Radeon HD 7950 GPU. For some reason I have a black border around my monitor screen, and my desktop doesn't fit it fully.

I have installed all the latest drivers for the card and my resolution is set to 1920x1080 using HDMI at 60Hz. How can I fix it? I have Catalyst Control Centre, but it has no relevant options for me to change it?

xTobyMc

I've seen those instructions to fix it elsewhere, but with the newest version of CCC which I downloaded earlier, these options are no longer available...

mtb211

have you seen this thread?

http://www.computerforum.com/164287-black-border-around-desktop-when-using-hdmi-output.html

I've had the same problem... I fixed it by using a VGA cable instead of HDMI, it works perfectly now !!!!

OMG, I'm not alone.... Sorry I don't have a solution... I just put together a new system (including new video card and monitor). My video card is XFX Radeon HD 5770, and my monitor is Samsung P2370HD (23-inch, Full 1080p (1920x1080)). I'm having the same issue.

With HDMI connection I have a black border around the entire screen, and poor image quality (slight distortion). It's very easy to notice the quality because in my troubleshooting I hooked up the DVI connection as well and can easily switch back and forth from HDMI to DVI. The DVI connection by the way is perfect (infact, I would say beautiful...), with no distortion and no black borders. Anyway, I tried an older driver that came with the card as well as the latest one on ati.com, but still the same problem. I've been messing with settings for 4 days. I've tried every display mode and option in the ati software (catalyst). I haven't spoken with XFX yet because they seem to be not taking calls until January 4th...nice huh?...

BTW, I also hooked up my Playstation 3 to the monitor via HDMI, and the image seems perfect, no distortion or black borders. It definitely seems like an issue with the video card or software for the card. Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Please people, don't hold back if you hear anything...

On a side note, besides this one issue (which is hugely disappointing), I still think this is a pretty good video card. For the price < $200, I can't find one better with low power, 1GB gddr5, directx 11, up to 3 monitors, performs pretty well on the bench, life-time warranty with XFX, and looks awesome. That's why I haven't exchanged it yet.

Thanks.

hope this helps... ill keep thinking about it... I guess you could throw up your computer specs and we can research if there are any known issues

Matt

cjmarsh81

Not sure it if is the same issue or not. I had this with one of our TV's when a pc was connected with HDMI. I think the actual setting was called overscan or something similar.

Is there a scaling setting in the monitor itself? Have you used this monitor before or is it new?