Black Screen during graphics card install on Windows 8.1

Genesis123

Hello. Somehow when my screen flickers while trying to install the graphics card, on the last flicker the screen goes black after the brightness changes. Before the install I couldn't change the brightness without the graphics card installed. I went to the Device manager to uninstall the Video Game Controller (VGA Compatible) display then after I do that the graphics card installs and then repeats a black screen. So then when I reboot I can't make it to the login screen because there's a black screen with the actual graphics card installed. Please help. Give the most advice. Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What video card are you trying to install? What exact power supply do you have?

Genesis123

I have a HP ENVY TouchSmart m6 Sleekbook laptop.
Video Card: AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2.10 GHz , AMD Radeon HD 8610G Graphics
My AC Adapter says Power Supply is 65W.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
With this being a laptop, not much you can do but possibly do a fresh install of windows and see if that helps.

Genesis123

With this being a laptop, not much you can do but possibly do a fresh install of windows and see if that helps.

Ok I installed a Windows 8.1 setup using a USB flash drive. What's the best way you would want me to fresh install with a USB flash drive?

Darren

Staff member
Those AMD chips can be weird on Windows 10 and have to manually backload old drivers.