Black screen for 8 seconds on start up.

james76

when i turn on my pc after i few seconds starting up a black screen comes up with a blinking "_" (underscore), the computer loading light is off. the screen goes of and xp loading screen come up after about 8-10 seconds and everything loads fine.

any suggestions?

thanks

james

randruff

There is a saying that applies to this situation....

"if it isnt broken, don't fix it."

If it really bothers you, go into bios, look around and investigate the settings.

Sebouh

well that happens whe u have a cd or a floppy inserted at boot up and it searches if they are bootable divices.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Is this when you first turn it on? Back in highschool, our video editing computer did the same thing. You would switch it on, and it would just sit there for about 10 seconds doing aboslutly nothing(just fans spinning) then the monitor would kick in and it would go just fine.

It was never a good system...I suspected minor hardware issues with it. YOu might have something wrong too. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just make sure you always have backups. Then again, you should be doing that either way ;)

james76

thanks, i found 2 cds in my pc i took them out and i will see next boot whether it continues to do so.

i have left my floppy disks in my pc many a times before, and its a little shock as you come to sit down that there is a black boot screen infront of you lol.