Black Screen O' Death

Cubsfan2112

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite A665 with a i3 processor and with Windows 10. This laptop can handle up to 8 gigs max. So I purchased some 2x4gig RAM to replace what I had 2x2gig RAM I had in the laptop. My laptop was working fine, but when I replaced the RAM to the 2x4 gig RAM, I got the Black Screen Of Death. This happened to this laptop years ago and I thought the motherboard was bad and so I put the laptop away thinking it was done with. So several months ago I pulled the laptop out and found out if you take the battery out and disconnected the power and then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. and then put the battery back and power up the laptop it would fix the problem. Well once I changed the ram from 4gigs to 8 gigs, I started up the laptop and now power light come on for about 30 seconds, then shuts off. Nothing comes on the screen and right at the end before shutting off, a sound of the fan or hard drive comes on, then shuts off.
I replaced the RAM back to the 2x4 gig thinking I might have the wrong RAM (or something) and it still starts up with the Black Screen and does nothing else. Any ideas of what I can try to make my laptop work again?
Please let me know if more info would be needed. Than you all.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What is the exact model number? Should be a sticker on the bottom. Most laptops nowadays have some sort of led indicators telling you there is an error somewhere on boot. Do you know if this model has anything like that? Could be the caps lock light or something else.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that model doesn't have diagnostic lights from what I researched. Have you tried removing the battery and pressing the power button to clear it?

Cubsfan2112

Yes, I have tried this many times. I tried it with the old RAM I had in before, then I would put the new RAM I purchased, then go back to the old RAM, but nothing changed it. Any other ideas that I can try? Thank you for looking into this.

Cubsfan2112

UPDATE!!!!! So I am able to get my laptop to get into Windows when I put only one 2 gig RAM stick inside. It now will not power up with 2x2 gig RAM (but it worked before with both 2x2 gig RAM sticks inside) Could it be because my Laptop is overheating? Should I take my laptop apart and clean the CPU and fan?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Take it to a shop and have them figure it out. You have some sort of hardware failure whether it be ram or harddrive or other. How do you know its overheating?

Cubsfan2112

I'm not sure about that. I never saw anything in BIOS where I could adjust the fan speed on my laptop. I purchased a single stick of 8GB of RAM on Amazon. I will see if my laptop will accept this or it goes back to a black scree.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You won't have a setting in bios to control the fan. If a pc is overheating then the cpu fan will run at a high rate of speed until it shuts off.