Blackberry, Iphone or Android help...

Amante18

Ok so my cell provider is giving me 500 credit to get my next phone... what should i go with,

my choices:

Iphone: Android Os phone
blackberry: blackberry bold 9700

Any ideas, thoughts, reviews, anything, any input would help

thank you

meanman

I have a blackberry bold 9700 it is a great phone especially if you need access to your emails time your out, the design is elegant and the qwerty keyboard is easy to use.

Geoff

VIP Member
I prefer Android to the iPhone (and I've owned both), but if you plan to use your phone a lot for media (music/videos), then the iPhone may be a good choice since their media players are far ahead of any players in other phones.

bkribbs

Ok so my cell provider is giving me 500 credit to get my next phone... what should i go with,

my choices:

Iphone: Android Os phone
blackberry: blackberry bold 9700

Any ideas, thoughts, reviews, anything, any input would help

thank you

I am a little confused. You do realize that an android isn't an iPhone right?

My mom has a blackberry curve, which would be similar. It is OK, but isn't even close to comparing to the iPod Touch I have. The Androids that I have gotten to mess with seem pretty neat too. If you can, I would go for an iPhone, but my second choice would be Android. I would wait until they release the new iPhone though, which is happening around June 9th, but I don't know the exact date. It has video calling, which I think would be neat. It has alot of other features as well.

EDIT- I also really like the iPhone for a music player. So if you listen to music, for sure, that is your phone.

PohTayToez

I would say definitely pick either the iPhone or Android over a BlackBerry. BlackBerrys are good devices, but when it comes to sheer number of aps and features they really just don't compare. Then when it comes to iPhone vs an Android phone, I personally prefer Android, however they really are right about even when it comes to features. The iPhone has more apps, however if you're interested in doing things such as tethering, installing alternative operating systems, or installing applications outside of the app stores, then you should definitely go with Android, as Google tends to embrace this type on innovation while Apple fights it. What sort of Android phones are available on your network?

Geoff

VIP Member
I have an iPhone and I love it for the simple fact that I could customize it as I wanted. I mainly use it to navigate when out, the email client and blogging. Not sure I would switch it..if not with a new version once it comes out.
Uh, it's actually the complete opposite. The iPhone is the least customizable smart phone out there, unless you jailbreak.

bkribbs

[-0MEGA-];1476039 said:
Uh, it's actually the complete opposite. The iPhone is the least customizable smart phone out there, unless you jailbreak.

In under two weeks, when OS 4.0 is released, then it is a lot more customizable.

I would say definitely pick either the iPhone or Android over a BlackBerry. BlackBerrys are good devices, but when it comes to sheer number of aps and features they really just don't compare. Then when it comes to iPhone vs an Android phone, I personally prefer Android, however they really are right about even when it comes to features. The iPhone has more apps, however if you're interested in doing things such as tethering, installing alternative operating systems, or installing applications outside of the app stores, then you should definitely go with Android, as Google tends to embrace this type on innovation while Apple fights it. What sort of Android phones are available on your network?

And tethering is also a feature coming to the iPhone in under 2 weeks with OS 4.0.

PohTayToez

Yes, but you can't complain that you can't tether with it at all. Most phones do require extra for tethering anyways.

I never said that you can't tether with it at all. In fact, everything that I mentioned (tethering, installing alternative operating systems, or installing applications outside of the app stores) can be done on the iPhone, but like I said, Apple fights that sort of software modification while Google embraces it (or is at least indifferent).

And as far as most phones requiring extra to tether? That's not true at all. I'm pretty sure that there are many more phones that are able to tether through third party applications than there are phones that have tethering supported by the carrier. And even if "most phones" did cost extra for tethering, what would that have to do with anything? The question was iPhone vs Android Phones, not iPhone vs "most phones".

Geoff

VIP Member
In under two weeks, when OS 4.0 is released, then it is a lot more customizable.

And tethering is also a feature coming to the iPhone in under 2 weeks with OS 4.0.
It hasn't been released yet. I love how Apple takes years to release an update that allows a user to change their background and how everyone loves it.

Also, tethering was implemented in OS 3.0

PohTayToez

[-0MEGA-];1476457 said:
Also, tethering was implemented in OS 3.0

What do you mean? Tethering has been possible since at least 2.0, but it's never been something that has been integrated into the actual OS, it's always had to be done through third party applications.

Domain_Man

I own an iPhone and love it - but I believe that Android or whatever the new version will be called, will come out stronger and possibly cheaper pretty soon to compete with apple

Geoff

VIP Member
What do you mean? Tethering has been possible since at least 2.0, but it's never been something that has been integrated into the actual OS, it's always had to be done through third party applications.
You just stated what I said. Tethering was [officially] implemented in OS 3.0.

ive had all 3, and when it comes to phones, the iphone is prime
more apps, easier to use, and sleeker than any blackberry and most android phones (nexus one?)
although the restrictions apple places on the phones are kinda strict, you can always get around them by jail breaking

i say go with a 3GS or wait for the 4G