Blank monitor

spinnnerrr

Hey guys. So I recently installed a new sound card. While I had my cases side panels off, I decided to redo my wire job. Boom, boom, done. Started up great. Monitor was working, but my keyboard wasn't. Along with that, I noticed the usb ports on my cases front weren't working as well as my extra internal usb expansion board (extra headers and usb slots, which my keyboard was plugged in to). Turned out i mixed up the usb header wires. Okay, fixed that... Now my monitor isn't displaying a picture.

I've tried different display wires. I've tried using the mobos HDMI slot. I've tried different monitors/tv's. I put my gpu in a different pci slot. I dusted out the pci slot. I turned off my monitor for 30 seconds cause the internet told me doing so "resets" its electronics. I rechecked all of the wires and saw nothing wrong... I can't figure out if I did something along the way when I was fixing my usb ports or what!?

Today is the second day I've been trying to figure this out and it's driving me mad. Please help me out! :(

Specs:
i7 4790k
Asrock z97 oc formula
GTX 980
Corsair 750W

For my monitor (asus) I'm using an HDMI to some sort of vga connector to my gpu. My tv is connected via HDMI.

_Pete_

Do you actually know if your computer is going through the boot sequence but just not displaying or is it not initiating the boot sequence. I would take the RAM memory modules out and reseat them as a first IA.

spinnnerrr

Here's something I noticed...

20171223_222554.jpg

The section in the red box would usually light up red. The small box where you see two zero digits, that would normally indicate a bunch of red numbers upon start up. The + and the - would usually be red as well along with the reset and power. BUT it hasn't been doing that ever since the monitor problem started. Could my mobo be dead? The power button that's on the mobo works fine though, so I'm not entirely sure. All of the power connectors on the mobo are plugged in and don't indicate any damage.

I also took out the battery for the I believe the BIOS? (The small round battery on the mobo) and put it back in. If that small battery is dead, could that be the possible problem? It's been two years since I built my PC...

_Pete_

I would think that even with the bios battery completey out it should still POST. Pity about the RAM thing. That is the cause of 80% of these sorts of problems. From now I'm afraid it's a matter of substituting components which can be an extremely expensive way of fault finding unless you own a computer shop with lots of spares and even then it can work out expensive. I would start by removing everything plugged into the board, connecting the monitor to the on board graphics, if you have that, and working your way through. The fact that that light isn't working would point to a power supply failure in my mind but as I say the only way really to test that is by substitution.

spinnnerrr

I'm starting to think it's the mobo itself. All of the fans spin and all of the lights turn on, so it cant be the PSU, right? But then again, i have corsairs dominator ddr3 RAM and they light up, so would that indicate that the mobo is okay? I'm going to buy that small, round battery first and see if that does anything.

So frustrated! :mad:

_Pete_

I wouldn't categorically say it isn't the power supply. The power supply pumps out 2 voltages, 5 volts and 12 volts and supplies the system earth. But those volatges take various routes through the power supply. Whilst you are, probably, correct I would try a different PSU if you can. It's cheaper than a mobo, but yes it could be the mobo.

spinnnerrr

So I bought a new PSU, EVGA's 750W G2, and it didn't solve anything. Gonna return the sucker and buy a new mobo off from amazon.

Only returning the PSU cause it was :eek: $120 at Micro Center

JLuchinski

So I bought a new PSU, EVGA's 750W G2, and it didn't solve anything. Gonna return the sucker and buy a new mobo off from amazon.

Only returning the PSU cause it was :eek: $120 at Micro Center
Can you buy a cheap motherboard from micro center and see if that solves the problem? I'm in Canada so I'm not familiar with micro center, would be quicker then waiting on Amazon.

_Pete_

As I told you in one of my ealier posts fault finding in this way starts to get expensive as you are now finding out. IF you are going to continue fault finding in this way do not buy expensive parts. Go used if you can or even better still beg or borrow bits although don't start blowing other people's parts up as that can be even more expensive. Putting it into a computer repairer could work out even more expensive. Maybe it's time to throw that money into a new computer.