Blank Screen on Boot

Hi All!

I unplugged all my leads on my desktop computer to plug into another desktop computer so I could take some files off.

Anyway, everything's plugged back into my other comp again and initially a screen came up saying something along the lines of "Your video ??? is plugged in the wrong port". It's a blue VGA lead think it's called, for the monitor. I have 2, a white lead and a blue lead (going to my monitor.) I then noticed on the back there are 2 blue ports which it would fit (so I unplugged it and put into the other blue port while it was still switched on) and nothing happened.

Tried restarting my comp and (the monitor is on as well) it just stays on this blank / black screen and won't boot up. I've tried taking that blue lead out and restarting but it does exactly the same.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The white is a DVI cable and the blue is a VGA cable. Make sure you have the right cable plugged into the right port? If you have a dedicated video card then you'll have to plug it into that one instead of the onboard video port on the motherboard. Did you have multiple monitors setup by chance?

No. I took out all the leads and plugged into an old comp to take some files off. The old comp was plugged into my current monitor as the other one doesn't have a monitor anymore. Will that have upset things?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly do you mean by leads? If you only have one monitor then you only need a either a white DVI cable or a blue VGA cable for the monitor. If you have a dedicated video card then thats where the video cable needs to be plugged into.

I've actually got it working now. Don't know what the problem was. I took all leads out again and plugged them back in, unplugged and plugged back in my monitor. It booted up. I'm actually getting that diskette seek failure 0 thing now though (I have to boot up with all usb's unplugged) but then plug the keyboard in and press F1 and it boots.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What usb devices do you have? It's possible the boot settings have changed to where its wanting to boot to a usb storage device instead of HDD. Without knowing your setup, its hard to tell what you got going on.