Block phone app in network firewall?

finsfree

This may be a weird question but if someone hops/connects to my wifi from their phone is there a way to block, lets say the facebook app, from connecting to that users facebook account? In other words, block them form accessing their facebook account using my wifi.

The content filter on my network firewall (Zywall USG20) only works with port 80 (http not https).

How does the app connect to the users account? It must use DNS to resolve the name "facebook". I can create an "A" record in DNS to resolve facebook to 0.0.0.0 in which it will work for a PC but I'm guessing if the cellular carrier has their own DNS it will resolve the name.

Phones are different because they are always connected by cellular service.

I want to block users from accessing their facebook account when they are at my house "visiting".

Thx,

finsfree

Why facebook specifically?

Because it is annoying when people come to visit and then whip out their phones to show you something on FB. I'm a techy but too much FB is too much FB.

I don't care about what your friends said about a topic. I'm not into people that much...lol.

beers

Staff member
Eh, they'll just flip over to cellular when it doesn't work.

I feel like you're looking for a technical solution to a social/personal issue.

Geoff

VIP Member
I want to block users from accessing their facebook account when they are at my house "visiting".
You can't. There is nothing you can do, technically, to prevent people from using cellular data on their phones from visiting facebook. You can decide to block it on your network by blocking the website and keywords (or by application if your firewall supports it), but they'd just get upset and switch to cellular.

You need to just lighten up and let family do what they want. Honestly, browsing facebook to show you photos and so forth is pretty standard with lots of families.

Agent Smith

Run Pfsense and block all of Facebook's ASN's. But it's futile. They will use 4G/LTE. Not worth your time. You could by a cell phone blocker, but those are illegal.

beers

Staff member
Ah, you still aren't filtering via ASN then, it's just a snapshot of what they're advertising via BGP at that time. :p

If you have a business circuit with full BGP tables you can do a BGP AS ACL and it will drop anything originating from those ASes

Good for people to know where to see prefix lists and stuff though at the he.net looking glass site.