Blocked

nigel62

Hi, went to check when my MOT is due on my van today and I keep getting blocked from the website. This is not the only site I get this on and I am getting fed up with this as I know there is no problem with this, and the other sites. The message I keep getting is "your connection is not private" These sites work ok on my wife's laptop and tablet, so why not on my one. Is it google, windows or mcafee who are blocking this and how can I get around this?

Thanks, Nigel

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 7

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you running updated chrome and what version of windows are you on? Have you tried resetting chrome? You might have browser extensions installed that may be causing this issue. Check those as well. Have you scanned for malware with Malwarebytes? Tried a different web browser?

sounds like a firewall security issue
look at the permissions on your firewall to see if the website is on the blocked list, if it is allow the connection and try again

nigel62

Are you running updated chrome and what version of windows are you on? Have you tried resetting chrome? You might have browser extensions installed that may be causing this issue. Check those as well. Have you scanned for malware with Malwarebytes? Tried a different web browser?
Chrome is up to date, running windows 8.1, uninstalled chrome then re installed it, no different. Only extension is click n clean. Also scanned with malwarebytes, no problems found. Also the same when using Firefox.

Thanks for the advice

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's most likely a security update for 8.1. Would highly recommend updating to windows 10 as its still free to do so.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no, hate windows 10, got it on another pc.
What do you hate about it? There are things you can do with it to make it more user friendly. Like an actual start menu and quick launch bar.
Might wait for 11 to come out.
There will not be a windows 11. All they are doing is creating updates for windows 10. This has been known for years. If you've heard anything about a windows 11. its a hoax.

beers

Staff member
What does that domain resolve as? If you hop into command prompt you can ping that destination and see what it resolves to while cross referencing the response with a DNS check website like what ISP are you using (hopefully not some neighbors open wifi)?

What you've listed is common in the 'man in the middle' attack space, so that is why I was curious if you used any sort of shared or open internet. Also this behavior can be triggered if you're using a captive portal like public wifi and try to connect to a site without authenticating first.

You should get a 107.162.x.x IP address when pinging vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk as they leverage F5 Silverline as an external service.

Are you able to see the actual certificate that they provide you? It should match this:
Code:
* Server certificate:
*  subject: jurisdictionC=GB; businessCategory=Government Entity; serialNumber=Government Entity; C=GB; ST=Swansea; L=Morriston; O=Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency; CN=vehicletax.service.gov.uk
*  start date: Nov 17 11:26:56 2020 GMT
*  expire date: Nov 17 11:36:00 2021 GMT
*  subjectAltName: host "vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk" matched cert's "vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk"
*  issuer: C=NL; O=QuoVadis Trustlink B.V.; CN=QuoVadis Europe EV SSL CA G1
*  SSL certificate verify ok.

sounds like a firewall security issue
look at the permissions on your firewall to see if the website is on the blocked list, if it is allow the connection and try again
I wouldn't chalk up a certificate issue as a firewall one.

nigel62

What do you hate about it? There are things you can do with it to make it more user friendly. Like an actual start menu and quick launch bar.

There will not be a windows 11. All they are doing is creating updates for windows 10. This has been known for years. If you've heard anything about a windows 11. its a hoax.
Only joking about windows 11, not heard anything.
Windows 10 constantly up dating when it wants to, not when I want to do it, which makes things so slow its virtually unusable. Also filling my drive up doing so, as my laptop only has a very small hard drive.

Is your time set correctly?
yes it is

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 constantly up dating when it wants to, not when I want to do it,
Set your network connection to a metered connection that way it won't update on you.

Also filling my drive up doing so, as my laptop only has a very small hard drive.
If it has one of those 32gb flash emc cards then thats not the right type of storage to have. I suggest getting a different laptop with regular hdd/sdd in it. If it has a regular 2.5 laptop hard drive and is replaceable with something bigger, I suggest you do so.

beers

Staff member
Windows 10 constantly up dating when it wants to, not when I want to do it
How would you yourself determine when the best time to patch is? Some sort of vibration in the air? Detection of additional atmospheric moisture? Two years after people exploit easy-to-deploy, critical CVEs simply because people don't update their computers?

nigel62

How would you yourself determine when the best time to patch is? Some sort of vibration in the air? Detection of additional atmospheric moisture? Two years after people exploit easy-to-deploy, critical CVEs simply because people don't update their computers?
Not when I am trying to use it for something I need to do, thats when. Didnt realise a laptop could control the atmosphere, but you live and learn.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

nigel62

Update. Problem now sorted so thanks for advice. Didnt do anything, problem cleared by it self.

PS still cant control the atmosphere with the laptop as was suggested by beers, so can only presume it was a joke ;):rolleyes:

Last edited: