Blocking MAC addresses on xp.

Schonza

Basically, I want to be able to block a MAC address so the system doesn't gain internet access on my home network. I'm not sure how to go about this, so any help would good. If there is any other info you need me to give, just ask. Cheers.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Basically, I want to be able to block a MAC address so the system doesn't gain internet access on my home network. I'm not sure how to go about this, so any help would good. If there is any other info you need me to give, just ask. Cheers.

MAC filtering doesn't do any good since they are sent/received in clear text. You should set up good encryption with a strong passkey.

How is your network set up?

Schonza

It's a simple network. Our modem connects to a 4 port switch, with one pc hooked up to it. Since that room is at the other end of the house, I have my pc connected into a switch in my room with connects into the other switch.

network.jpg

Last edited:

OvenMaster

VIP Member
If this is a wireless XP comp, exclude its MAC address from the whitelist of all other PCs that can access the router with the router's Wireless MAC Filter settings.

tlarkin

VIP Member
If this is in your own house and it is wired, just unplug the cable...

MAC filtering is quite pointless though, you should really just run decent encryption on your WiFi.

Schonza

Haven't got wifi. It's all wired. See the thing is. My brother doesn't live at home. He got kicked out. And he comes back at all hours in the morning and uses up all our downloads. Of course I can't do anything because we won't listen to me. Dad wants to find a way to stop him bringing his laptop and hooking it up.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Haven't got wifi. It's all wired. See the thing is. My brother doesn't live at home. He got kicked out. And he comes back at all hours in the morning and uses up all our downloads. Of course I can't do anything because we won't listen to me. Dad wants to find a way to stop him bringing his laptop and hooking it up.

UNHOOK the switch from the modem, problem solved. MAC filtering is not a good security layer, plus this sounds like a job for your parents and not you, but I am not going to get involved in anyone's family matters here on this forum.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Close and lock all the doors and windows....

I have a Linksys Router and they have a feature called 'Internet Access Policy'. I believe most have this type of feature. By MAC address, I let only my 3 computers have access to the router. I can also grant access by internal IP address and give my 3 computers static ip addresses if I wanted to.

For your situation, I would go with my first suggestion.