blue ray worth it ?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If you have a large enough newer TV you'll see a difference between DVD and Blu-ray. You notice quite a difference on my 110" Mitsubishi projector I have in my home theater.

newcomputer20

I've got one of those korean monitors which would be very nice to view high quality movies on. I'm still not sure about the cost though - player + blu ray discs

Aastii

VIP Member
Honestly, I wouldn't, even though I have a Bluray player.

For the same price as collecting the movies + buying the player, you can get decent internet + a subscription to a streaming service which stream in full HD where available, like Netflix or LoveFilm.

It will be the same quality but bigger collection, no extra hardware and the faster net will benefit you in every other online application

=EDIT=

This is assuming you have superfast broadband available where you live

newcomputer20

Yeah I pretty much do and I was actually wondering what the real difference between HD you can torrent or netfix or w/e and blu ray. I just naturally assumed blu ray was better but thanks all for some very insightful comments.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blu ray is great,much better than DVD and yes i think its worth it!

newcomputer20 said:
I'm still not sure about the cost though - player + blu ray discs

I buy all my Blu Rays second hand though,you can pick them up for around £4-5 each if you look around,But i do still buy the occasional DVD as well.

You could buy a refurbished Blu ray player on Ebay for as little as £39.99 :),and still get a years warranty.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-B...ideo_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item43b5cec1b2

newcomputer20,have you tried out Netflix like Aastii mentioned?..that's also really good and most of the stuff is HD & 5.1 Audio...although if your in the UK out Netflix is lacking quite a bit compared to the US version.

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Yeah I pretty much do and I was actually wondering what the real difference between HD you can torrent or netfix or w/e and blu ray. I just naturally assumed blu ray was better but thanks all for some very insightful comments.

HD you BUY (;)) is the same as you stream is the same as you watch on a Bluray, it is just the resolution it is at. Bluray can play in full HD (1920x1080), so can streaming and so can some LEGAL video download sources

User0one

BluRay players are now not much more then a Regular DVD Player, which in a couple years probably won't be sold any more. Even BluRay Disks are priced near a regular DVD. I am not impressed enough to go out and rebuy old DVD Videos I own for BluRay versions, but any new Videos you buy might as well be BuyRay.

Most the New BluRay Players will enhance old DVDs to look better during play back, just make sure to get one of those type.