Blue screen of death..

Hellfire

oh.. don't ya'll hate it.. well I got a problem.. I keep getting the blue screen of death pop up when I run certain programs.. this includes certain net programs and Spybot SnD so i have to try three/four times to make it restart, I've deleted all my restore pionts due to they was infected with trojans so I can't Restore my pc, I have information on it I CANT lose so I cant format it and I don't have my windows disk anymore :( I lost the thing, Anyway what could it be and what could I do about it, I cant back up due the fact I got no CD/RW

4W4K3

VIP Member
Hellfire said:
oh.. don't ya'll hate it.. well I got a problem.. I keep getting the blue screen of death pop up when I run certain programs.. this includes certain net programs and Spybot SnD so i have to try three/four times to make it restart, I've deleted all my restore pionts due to they was infected with trojans so I can't Restore my pc, I have information on it I CANT lose so I cant format it and I don't have my windows disk anymore :( I lost the thing, Anyway what could it be and what could I do about it, I cant back up due the fact I got no CD/RW

If it restarts during scans and things like that then it would be at LOAD i think. usually a scan stresses your system somewhat. and if it restarts when its being stressed that is USUALLY A hardware problem. the #1 cause of a bluescreen is a RAM error. so i would run your ram through memtest86 and see if it catches anything. if its fine then the next culprit i would expect is your harddrive. now b4 checking all of this is your coputer free of virsues/adware/spyware/useless junk? that will all screw up your pc worse than any hardware problem lol. i would definetly get rifd of viruses b4 i suspect hardware. good luck. also make sure if you have no viruses to get all latest drivers/bios updates, all newest drivers for yuor vid card and the like. driver errors can cause your PC to mess up as well.

Hellfire

Avg has some viruses in the vault but thats it. spyware i don't know yet due to the test, the thing it has been getting alot of work lately.. on alot more and can be stressed out..

4W4K3

VIP Member
Hellfire said:
Avg has some viruses in the vault but thats it. spyware i don't know yet due to the test, the thing it has been getting alot of work lately.. on alot more and can be stressed out..

how old is this computer? if it has just recently started rebooting it could very well be failing hardware. or on a lighter note it could just be it has recently been infected with some kind of trojan or something. I would still suggest testing your RAM with memtest86 and seeing if it passes. Also defragging your HD wil help alot if its not been done in a while. When was the last time you updated and of your windows updates/drivers/BIOS? If you've just recently installed new software/hardware it could be conflicting with ancient drivers/BIOS.

Hellfire

never updated my drivers/bios.. only when i in stall stuff.. I defrag every week without fail.. well every 7-10days and I haven't got any new Hardware/software.. well only diablo 2 reinstalled but i've had it in before with no problems.. Erm... how do u run memtest86?

4W4K3

VIP Member
for memtest you gotta instal it first (google) then it will ask you to format a disk and make a boot disk with there files. you reboot and boot from that floppy and it runs on your computer till its done. it shouldnt find any errors or reboot until the test is complete. thye give you prettty good instructions in the readme and ion the site i believe.