Blue Screen of Death

dahermit

My computer crashed yesterday (BSD), I could not get it to recover. However, I had a hard drive dock and make a clone every once in awhile. I swapped out the drive for the clone and I am back in business.

Here is my question: Is there any problem using the Blue Screen of Death hard drive write my next clone? In other words, I am concerned that the cause of BSD might have been a physical problem rather than a corrupted file problem... or is BSD always a corrupt file rather than damage?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A bsod can be anything to a driver issue, failing hard drive, corrupt file, malware, etc. You can always do a diagnostic on the drive to verify its good.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Do you recall what the stop code was when it BSOD'd?

Without knowing anything else from this and as John has mentioned, you can run a diagnostic scan on the hard drive to see if it's in good shape.

Hard drive manufacturers typically have their own diagnostic tool available for download on their website.

beers

Staff member
I'd also check out the SMART data of the drive (like with CrystalDiskInfo) or do a long scan with the manufacturer's utility, although probably on another non-Windows system in order to rule out malware.

BSOD can be a variety of things between OS/drivers/software, or hardware related. Do you happen to at least remember the code that was being thrown?