Blue screen problems (DRIVER_IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)

avisotin

Hi all, first post here.

I'm writing this on my Macbook as my desktop has just decided to start having BSOD problems (specific error in the post title). I began encountering them a couple of days ago and the first appeared while i was playing a game, Battlefield 2142. Since then, they happen to crop up when I try to launch an application (game, web browser, whatever) and sometimes when Windows has loaded and I've already been using the PC for a minute or two.

Don't have many specifics, but this is what I jotted down from the last error:

Code:
Code:
DRIVER_IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x0x000000B8, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xFFFFFADFC84EFC78)

nvata64.sys (Address: FFFFFADFC84EF7C8, base at FFFFFADFC84D0000.

Datestamp 43052db3.

I saw that the problem was because of nvata64.sys so I did a search and found that it was a component of my graphics card driver. I downloaded new drivers for my graphics card, but I got another BSOD later on anyway, and nvata64.sys was still the problem.

I would like to fix this problem without having to re-install Windows, simply because it takes a lot of time and I don't want to lose any of the data I have. I have tried virus checking with avast!, spyware checking with Adaware and running CCleaner, but I still got BSODs. I tried running memtest but it is not designed for 64 bit PCs. My specs are as below:

* Windows XP Pro (x64 edition), SP2
* ASUS A8N-32 SLI Deluxe motherboard
* AMD Athlon 4200+ X2 (dual core) @ 2.5Ghz
* 2GB RAM
* Nvidia 7800GT graphics card (256MB)

I hope I posted in the right forum. Thanks for any help.

PS. I can't seem to boot in safemode because when I press F8 it just lets me select which device to boot from (CD ROM, HDD, etc.) and I never see an option for safemode. Why is this?

addle_brains

Last time I had this problem, a complete rebuild helped. It could be that another part of your system is screwed, but it's the video driver that's giving the errors. Try repairing, and if not, reinstalling.

To try booting to safe mode, wait for POST to end and in the small moment between the POST ending and windows booting, hit F8 then.

avisotin

Issue unresolved

I tried installing several new drivers, some old and some new. None seem to have helped and I still get blue screens (more or less randomly, but more often than not in a game or other CPU-intensive activity).

Any ideas?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Nvata64.sys, would be the 64bit version of the IDE drivers. If I were you, looking to avoid a backup and reinstall of Windows, I would get ahold of my chipset drivers, preferably off the motherboard manufactures website, as their newer/updated, Run DriverCleaner Pro, choose to clean the nforce chipset profile, reboot if needed, then reinstall the chipset drivers.

avisotin

IDE driver removed

A mate of mine suggested I go to control panel, add remove programs and choose to remove only the Nvidia IDE driver. I did this and it seems to have worked - I've been wokring for a couple of hours with no BSODs. However, a lot of settings have reverted to default (i.e. all my cookies are now gone). Is there anything inherently wrong with removing the IDE driver? Because I seem to be doing fine without it at the mo.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I just dealt with my Nforce4 chipset drivers, and installed the IDE driver, Because I'm in a RAID setup. It's safe to run without the drivers, unless of course you are using RAID as well.

If you have to ask what RAID is, you aren't using it lol. Glad to hear you settled it.

avisotin

Issue resolved

Glad to hear I'm not using a RAID setup then :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. A mod can lock this thread if they so desire.