Boot password

chris8105

Have a question here about better securing my computer. I am running windows 98 and have a hp pavilion 6644d.

I have read on the web that you can set a boot password in the bios section, went there and did not see anyplace that I could set a password, not sure if it can be done on this computer or not, hoping someone on here knows.

If its not possible on this computer then does anyone know of a website where I can download something that will work with windows 98 that will require a password to access the desktop.

I just want something that will require a password on boot up.

Thanks in advance

Chris

smitherz

first what is the make of your bios?
there should be a boot p/word option in the security tab in the bios.
go back and check

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have read on the web that you can set a boot password in the bios section, went there and did not see anyplace that I could set a password, not sure if it can be done on this computer or not, hoping someone on here knows.
Keep looking ... it's there :)

If its not possible on this computer then does anyone know of a website where I can download something that will work with windows 98 that will require a password to access the desktop.
Windows' passwords, especially pre-2K versions are quite easy to break.....

Imaruki

If I remember right, on Windows 98, you can just hit Esc and it will load the desktop....or at least that's how it was on the 98 computers I've been on.

chris8105

Here it is

OK I went back and looked and still couldnt find it, so I wrote down everything on the Bios setup and am gonna post it here hoping that someone here can tell me where it is or if I looked over it somehow.

The top of the screen says Pheonix Bios Setup
On the bottom of the screen it says Core version 4.06, Bios revision 1.09 1/27/00

Not sure if that means anything to anyone, but here is everything on the Bios pages................

MAIN
System time
System date
LAnguage
Legacy Diskette A:
Primary Master
Primary Slave
Secondary Master
Secondary Slave
Installed memory
Memory Bank 1
Memory Bank 2

POWER
Auto suspend timeout
Hard disk timeout
Resume ontime
Resume time
Power button behavior
On AC/Power loss

ADVANCED
CPU type
CPU speed
Cache ram
Processor serial #
Installed OS
Reset configuring data
Default primary video adapter
PS/2 mouse
Large access mode
Legacy USB support
PCI configuration
I/O device configuration

BOOT
Boot time diagnostic screen
Floppy check
Hard drive
Removable devices

Thats all thats in there, not sure if I am missing something or if there is some sort of trick to do it. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Chris

SFR

Truth fears no questions
In MY BIOS (on my old Dell R350) There was an option to lock the KEYBOARD and MOUSE when first starting the computer.. unless you entered the correct password into the computer... your system would start but you had no way of using those input devices..

... Seeing as that computer is running a few to many important things for me to just restart it and check out my bios. (which is different than yours anyway)

YOUR BEST BET is to find out the manufacturer of your bios (look on your mobo)
and find some info on the net...

remember, GOD (or at least 2 guys smarter than me) created GOOGLE for a reason!

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
If you want a secure computer, then mod it a little changing the power button with an ignition key switch from an old car. Then nobody will be able to boot without the key... :) (except some car-thiefs)