Boot

lostsoul62

When I boot this is the message I get "Reboot and select proper Boot devise or Insert Boot in media in selected Boot device and press a key" I went into the BIOS and I have 13 Boot selections but I only see one that would boot my drive?

_Pete_

Are you on here on that computer. If not then either your hard drive has packed in or you do not have the correct boot device selected. What are you 13 selections? That sounds like a lot of choices. if you are using a different computer to post on here download a Linux distro on it and make a boot DVD. See if your computer will boot from that.

lostsoul62

1. CD

2. UEFI Hard Disk

3. UEFI USB Hard Drive

4. UEFI CD/DVD

5. UEFI USB Key

6. UEFI Network

7. USB HD

8. USB CD/DVD

9. HD WDC WD – This is my Data Drive

10. UEFI USB CD/DVD

11. USB Key

12. USB Floppy

13. Network
I'm trying to boot my old OS that is on a different Hard Drive that I had in this computer

beers

Staff member
If number 2 won't work then the drive is shot.
Maybe #9 depending if Windows was installed in UEFI mode.

Do you have any other things in your computer like a USB drive? Sometimes the PC will try to boot from those and throw an error, but if you unplug and reboot it will 'go back to normal'.

lostsoul62

Boot files could be on the other drive.

I know your right because this happen to me before but forgot what I did to correct it. #2 is my boot

_Pete_

First off make sure you do not have a DVD in the drive. I know I know but believe me I have seen that happen. Also unplug all your USB devices, then move device 2 to device 1. Your BIOS should tell you how to move devices up or down, usually the + for up and the - for down, that is general but not guaranteed. If it still doesn't boot then, possibly, the drive is kaput. I would still download a Linux distro ISO and make a bootable DVD and see if you machine boots from tha.

lostsoul62

Thank you I will try that tomorrow when I have some help because I'm an old man with a bad back but still good with computers but just can't remember how I did a lot of things. I really don't care about the Drive I just want to boot it up because I think I have Windows 10 on it for one of my computers and just want to image it and it's only a 60 GB SSD drive so I guess I'll just zero it out and give it to someone. Thanks again

Gossinater

Yeah take all USB and DVD's out of computer and even could unplug secondary drives to force computer to boot off your main hard drive.