bootable HDD

coldshot47

i just recently cloned my old HDD to a bigger one, after i cloned it i then partitioned it ( i used wrong setting and ended up with 2 partitions one being the exact size of my old one :( ) after i fixed that i went to change over the boot options to the new one only to find that it wasnt detecting it as a bootable device. both in msconfig and bios i was only being given my old HDD as a bootable source. how to i make it so the new one is my new default bootable HDD? btw i have vista

Last edited:

davidireland

Sounds like you might have messed something up in the partitioning process.

First, check the jumper pin on the HDD to make sure its set to Master.

If that's not the problem...
I would hold on to that clone, pop in the vista CD and do a fresh format. Delete the partitioning you did and repartition again (formatting with NTFS).

Once you are back into vista, use a program to mount the clone to get the files you saved off of it.

coldshot47

wouldnt anything or the partition on the target drive be irrelevant since its overwriting it in the copying process?

davidireland

wouldnt anything or the partition on the target drive be irrelevant since its overwriting it in the copying process?

Well as far as data yes, but if you make a mistake partitioning (for example not having it set as the primary partition, not formatting with a file system) then the drive would not even be recognized. It seems like a partitioning error to me

coldshot47

ok i got you, come to think of it something went wrong on the first clone attempt and i had to do it again, maybe thats were it went wrong. ill re partition it and try again, tyvm