Booting but nothing on monitor

I have a Compaq series pp 2140 laptop and when I boot it up all sounds fine . However I get nothing on the monitor . I plugged up an old desk top monitor to the vedio card on the back and I can see everything fine . I have never worked on a laptop . How could I fix this or is it fixable here .

Lax

VIP Member
Well it could be dead or just loose. Best thing to do if you don't know anything about laptops is to just bring it to a repair place (a good one) and ask them to test the screen, see if it will still display anything. If it's just loose they'll see that and fix it, if it's actually dead then you might have to send it back to get it repaired or if it's too old, buy a new one. (or use a desktop monitor like you've been doing)

By loose what do you mean

By loose what do you mean . Is there maybe a plug in or just a wire . I plan on fixing this (don't have much in it) for a learning experince . How would I go about testing it myself to see .

Lax

VIP Member
Well what you wanna do then is look for the schematics on it (inner workings) from the site or somewhere and use those. When you pop it open (after like 8 tiny ass screws) you will notice everything is connected by little IDE type connecters or by loose ribon (wires that are in a ribon and can be removed) The part that connects the monitor to the motherboard is most likely a ribon and it might have just come loose. Be fore-warned though, by opening the laptop you A. Void the warrenty and B. have a chance of breaking it and having it never work again.

As it is out of the warrenty period anyway thatsno problem . It sounds pretty simple to check out . Since I have built a number of desktops I think I may know pretty quick after I get into it if it's something I should takle . I have just never messed with laptops . If I don't find anything loose then could it be in the circut board somewhere . Just wondering . I also live for computer problems .

Scrat

You could also check it by booting up with the CRT connected then use the CRT/LCD Function Key(little blue icons on some keys) on the keyboard to try switching between the two.

Lax

VIP Member
dead on the head said:
I have a Compaq series pp 2140 laptop and when I boot it up all sounds fine . However I get nothing on the monitor . I plugged up an old desk top monitor to the vedio card on the back and I can see everything fine . I have never worked on a laptop . How could I fix this or is it fixable here .

Preeettttty sure he already did that.