bootloader for linux and windows 10

I have just installed Linux Mint 17.1 and Windows 10 on an HP Compaq Presario CQ60, however I completely overlooked the option to select which OS to boot.

Windows is automatically assumed to be what I want.

I don't even think I can physically select the OS as they are both installed on the same hard drive, so I need a bootloader right?

GRUB?

I'm not sure, any help would be appreciated

Whoa that was cool, I installed EasyBCD and I was asked to choose operating systems, although it doesn't appear to have worked properly, left with a blinking underscore.

got it to work, had to use GRUB 2 not GRUB Lecacy, thanks guys very much

maybe it's not working, stuck at linux logo, will try some other stuff

Last edited:

silv55

Whoa that was cool, I installed EasyBCD and I was asked to choose operating systems, although it doesn't appear to have worked properly, left with a blinking underscore.

got it to work, had to use GRUB 2 not GRUB Lecacy, thanks guys very much

maybe it's not working, stuck at linux logo, will try some other stuff
I

GreenAce92;don't think you will ever get it to work right and you have to blame MS,Ms is making sure that we can't mix Win 10 with Linux,.
Any who, if you can make it work right i want to know how you did it,please post step by step.

I had uninstalled linux and now reinstalled in on the other "half" of the hard drive, now I go straight to Linux and not able to see Windows at all... hmm

silv55

I had uninstalled linux and now reinstalled in on the other "half" of the hard drive, now I go straight to Linux and not able to see Windows at all... hmm

Bro; it happened the something to me,i follow videos on YouTube other instructions but no avail, i just gave up,i have 2 desktops on my media center,one with Linux Ubuntu 14.04 and the other with Win10.
Wait till Win 10 RTM,but i doubt it will ever work.

Well, I just decided to keep Linux, not like that's a bad thing, although I would prefer to use Windows.

My computer is old for now but it is there and it works.

Anything else is a luxury in the meantime.

Thanks for your guys' responses.

schw32m

Well, I just decided to keep Linux, not like that's a bad thing, although I would prefer to use Windows.

My computer is old for now but it is there and it works.

Anything else is a luxury in the meantime.

Thanks for your guys' responses.

General rule of thumb with dual boot systems... put your windows on first and then load Linux alongside. If GRUB sets up properly it will give you a boot screen at the beginning of the sequence that will allow you to choose op system to boot into at start up.