Bootmanager empty list and can't access bios, doesn't detect usb fdd on my Aspire V3-571G

kalleanka

The computer came with a Win 8 license and there was much that I learned the hard way with this computer such as it's a bad idea to install only linux instead of doing a dual boot because then you format the part of the HDD that has the Windows license so you can't go to bios to reinstall Windows anymore.

But I went to get a USB FDD that has Windows 10 on it and I don't want Linux anymore on this laptop so I set the bios settings back to default and then I reboot but it just says nothing to boot from and takes me to boot manager screen and there's no options there.. empty list. So I can only as it seems like reboot by hard shutting down the computer by holding down the power button.

And when you turn it on again with and without the USB FDD in then it just takes me to the empty boot manager sceen. I don't even get the choice to press F2 to enter bios anymore either. The screen that should show which tells me to press F2 never shows.

I've installed Win 10 on this computer with this USB FDD before but then I installed Linux again but now I am planning on giving away this computer and that's why I want to put Win10 on it again but having these problems now.

I've put the USB FDD in a other computer and it looks fine, I see all the Win10 stuff on it.
And my brother used this USB FDD too to install Windows on his computer.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Gonna have to get into the bios and change boot order. Or you can try pressing f10 or f12 to bring up boot selection.

kalleanka

Gonna have to get into the bios and change boot order. Or you can try pressing f10 or f12 to bring up boot selection.

Sorry for not being more clear but I mean that when I reboot it just goes straight to boot manager.
The Screen that offers me a choice to press F2 to enter BIOS never shows up anymore after I set BIOS to default settings.

kalleanka

If I understood correct, that thread claims that you can't access BIOS if you don't have Windows 8 installed.
But I did access BIOS when I don't have Windows 8 installed before.. I've had Windows 10 on it and also Linux (not dual boot).
When I used Linux I changed to turn off UEFI and when I used Win10, then I had the default BIOS settings.

But that was before, now, as I've explained in the OP, I have Linux installed and then after I went into the BIOS and set the settings back to default to prepare for installing Win 10 then this whole problem arise.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First of all wipe the hdd so thats taken care of first. Once thats done, you should be able to access bios without the boot loader appearing.

kalleanka

First of all wipe the hdd so thats taken care of first. Once thats done, you should be able to access bios without the boot loader appearing.

You mean by taking out the HDD from the laptop and putting it into another laptop? Or can you connect it to a desktop computer as well?
I know almost nothing about hardware for laptops.. I tried taking out the battery once and put it in again but somehow I damaged the laptop and had to get it repaired.
I've read that most of laptop's hardware is not accessible too.

I know quite a bit about desktop hardware though but that's not so helpful in this case.

kalleanka

Yes take the drive out. Laptop drive can be attached to desktop easily.

Hey, I didn't get around to it yet because it sounded more challenging than it probably is but I watched a youtube video and it doesn't look too hard but I would just like to ask a question to get clarification before I begin my attempt at this: Do I need a special kind of usb that connected to the hdd? Or can I just open up my desktop computer (while it's off ofc) and connect it the same way that you connect a normal hdd that desktops use? Then when I boot the computer it will have it's own directory in file explorer.. such as first and main hdd is c:/ and second hdd is d:/ and then this laptop hdd would be a different letter?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, since all new laptops are sata drives you can just attach them to desktop systems just like a regular desktop hard drive. Just need a sata cable and power cable from psu. The laptop drive will have a new drive letter in the desktop.