"BOOTMGR is missing"

deeds281

I just finished building my first computer and was installing vista. I think it was transferring files to my HDD when my computer reset. Now this happens every time I boot when the HDD is plugged in, but when the HDD is not plugged in I can't install windows onto it.

I've looked around on the internet and still have no idea what's going on.

It could have something to do with the boot priority or the fact that my CD/DVD drive seems to be listed as a master HDD. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I'm doing and might have just messed up a cord placement or changed a setting in BIOS.

Also, plugging in the HDD after the computer has been turned on would be a bad idea, right?

bcohen4

go to bios and make cd/dvd drive the first priority to boot from

insert vista disk and repair or reinstall your OS

this is your best bet

PC eye

banned
First you mentioned the drive not being seen and now are seeing system restarts during the installation. That could very be from a defect where the drive is pulling the system down or something simple needs to be done.

As far as seeing the optical drive as master assuming you have an ide model that would be at the end of the ide ribbon cable set as master there. The sata drive should be seen listed under that being that ide drives are always listed first.

Once all setup files are copied to the hard drive you will see the "press enter now to restart the system immediately" message following the "system will restart in so many seconds". If the boot order is set for cd rom first you will end up with the failure to find boot device message appearing.

deeds281

The first problem was a wiring problem. Now I can't even boot unless I remove the HDD. Do you think I could plug in the HDD while the computer was on? That seems like a bad idea.

PC eye

banned
That would generally be! When plugging or unplugging any power connections on any drives or other hardwares you first shutdown completely, turn the breaker switch off on the supply, and most will automatically unplug the ac cord following that. That's the proper proceedure.

For just the data cable on a drive alone you can get away with simply turning the system off first not while powered up. But without being able to boot with the drive plugged in either the boot order needs to be reset or you have a bad drive on your hands pulling the system down.

Provided you didn't have the four wire molex type power connector plugged at the same time as the 15pin flat and wide shaped connector shown on the other thread and saw it damaged with two 12v feeds plugged in at the same time the drive sounds like it may be defective. One quick way to test the drive is simply bring it into a local pc shop or even a Circuit City to have it tested there or have someone you know with a little more experience try it on another system to see if it is detected properly there.