bootup/shutdown problem

ADWill9

My computer is plugged in to power. As soon as I flip the power switch on the back of the PSU, all three of the case fans start spinning and the motherboard LCD display instantly reads "FF" (Fully Functional?). The fan on the processor DOES NOT start spinning, and the LEDs on the RAM do not light. Nothing is displayed on the video monitor. It will sit in this state forever.

If I hit the power button on the front of the computer, the processor fan starts spinning, the RAM LEDs start lighting up, and the mobo LCD goes through a series of displays (starting with C1), until it reaches FF. Then the computer boots up like normal, runs great.

From Windows (Vista), I hit Restart in the start menu, and the computer restarts like normal. If I hit Shut Down, however, the computer appears to shut down, but then returns to the state from the first paragraph: no CPU fan, no RAM LEDs, no bootup.....

The only way I can turn the computer off is to flip the power switch on the back of the computer. I should mention that the computer has the same problem if I disconnect the "POWER SW" and "RESET SW" cables from the motherboard, except that without the use of the power button on the front of the computer, I cannot get into BIOS/Windows at all. I have also recently replaced the little mobo battery... before, when I had this problem, CMOS would reset itself to settings which would not allow it to boot. Now with the new battery, it seems to be remembering my boot priority/order settings... so maybe there's something in CMOS?

-ADWill

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Was this always happening on the motherboard you are using or did it start recently?
Also check ALL wires and cabels on the motherboard and be sure that they are connected properly!