Boss Card or Semi-Boss Cards in SLI?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Always suggest one good card over 2 cards in sli as you'll have less heat which is bad for a system. If you can afford it, go 780 instead. However, what do you use your system for? If games, what specific games? You may not need anything that high.

claptonman

Always suggest one good card over 2 cards in sli as you'll have less heat which is bad for a system. If you can afford it, go 780 instead. However, what do you use your system for? If games, what specific games? You may not need anything that high.

More importantly, what resolution do you game at? Or how many monitors?

Okedokey

SLI for the win completely. nvidia SLI scales very well these days, and works flawlessly. The old dogma of one good card is better than sli isn't really valid anymore, however CF has issues with frame rating. 670SLI will rape a single 770. At 1080p its about 3% below a GTX690. Just make sure your PSU can handle it.

Last edited:

Jamebonds1

SLI for the win completely. nvidia SLI scales very well these days, and works flawlessly. The old dogma of one good card is better than sli isn't really valid anymore, however CF has issues with frame rating. 670SLI will rape a single 770. At 1080p its about 3% below a GTX690. Just make sure your PSU can handle it.

That's true. That's why I recommend SLI only, I was on steam and people talk issue about CF. Goodness, I don't CF it on my computer!

PCunicorn

I thought that CFX was better than SLI? Maybe that was coming from fanboys. OP, Yes, 670 SLI will destroy the 770. Though you could throw another 570 in there (if you are talking about your sig rig) for SLI and play almost all games on max (1080p), except maybe Crysis 3 which would run on high.

Last edited:

Jamebonds1

I thought that CFX was better than SLI? Maybe that was coming from fanboys. OP, Yes, 670 SLI will destroy the 770. Though you could throw another 570 in there (if you are talking about your sig rig) for SLI and play almost all games on max (1080p), except maybe Crysis 3 which would run on high.

They do good job with cf but not great mult monitor. Some people struggle with it.

Okedokey

Its one thing for the card to be processing the frames, its another to have them sufficiently in time that they're not wasted. Look up PCperspective's framerating exercise. Crossfire 'processes' too many frames that for want of a better way to describe it, are no longer 'required', therefore wasted. nvidia is much more precise and therefore you get a much better experience with multi gpu setups. Plus, the driver devvelopment cycle is night and day better with nvidia.