Bottlenecking reposted properly

lincsman

Ok, so since I worded the last one totally wrong I thought of a very simple way to put this. In a computer with an AMD FX-6300 processor overclocked to 3.8Ghz, and with 16Gb of 1866 DDR3 RAM, is it worth it to upgrade from a GTX 770 2Gb to a GTX 970? Or would it just be a waste of money and time with that processor? Thanks. The reason why I called the thread bottlenecking because I'm wondering if the processor in this computer would bottleneck a GTX 970.

Darren

Staff member
It would be an upgrade.
Very insightful.

Yes a 970 is faster than a 770 and you will notice a difference but the 6300 will hold it back in certain instances. Bottlenecking is more of a spectrum than a "yes it bottlenecks" or "no it doesn't bottleneck". My 8320 bottlenecks my 390 at times in certain games.

lincsman

Yes you are right and thank you Darren for an educated thoughtful reply. Like witcher 3 is processor intensive whereas Crysis 3 seems to be very video card intensive

Laquer Head

Yes you are right and thank you Darren for an educated thoughtful reply. Like witcher 3 is processor intensive whereas Crysis 3 seems to be very video card intensive

Tell me about it, my CPU struggles a bit.. thank god for 1080 but yeh that game is power hungry

spirit

Staff member
To be honest with you, yes the 970 is a faster card than the 770 and yes you will notice a difference, but really you should be thinking about moving away from AM3+ and onto AM4 (coming next year) or Intel 1151 instead.

You could go and buy a 970 now and you'd notice a bit of difference, or you could wait and build a new Intel or AM4 system with a newer card like a 1070. The 970 will be a 3 year old card in 2017 - something to think about!

Last edited:

Laquer Head

To be honest with you, yes the 970 is a faster card than the 770 and yes you will notice a difference, but really you should be thinking about moving away from AM3+ and onto AM4 (coming next year) or Intel 1151 instead.

You could go and buy a 970 now and you'd notice a bit of difference, or you could wait and build a new Intel or AM4 system with a newer card like a 1070. The 970 will be a 3 year old card in 2017 - something to think about!

He just built a brand new Z170 system and waiting on a gtx 1060.. hes referencing his old system sold to a family member and debating on putting in a 970 for them.

spirit

Staff member
He just built a brand new Z170 system and waiting on a gtx 1060.. hes referencing his old system sold to a family member and debating on putting in a 970 for them.
Oh OK, I must've missed that in one of the many threads he made about this (this is why we prefer to keep the discussion in one thread!)

If you can get a GTX 970 cheaply or free then go for it I guess, but don't buy one brand new given that a) it's a 2.5 year old card and has been superseded and b) this AM3+ PC isn't terribly powerful or worth spending a lot of money on - especially if they don't need a GTX 970. If they don't do a lot of gaming or really need to upgrade from the GTX 770, then don't put a GTX 970 in that system for them unless you can get one very very cheaply or you have one to give to them.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah, @Darren has been throwing his weight around too.. gave me the gears yesterday like you wouldn't believe,,,
I've closed the other threads relating to this question. Makes sense to just keep it all in one thread to make the discussion easier to follow.

lincsman

Ok thank you spirit as I tried to delete them but couldn't see how. Thanks everyone else, along with Laqure for explaining that I'm talking about my old system. I think I'll just continue with the 770 and I might actually get a 1070 as I want this system to last for years without an upgrade, and I am only doing 1080p but still I don't want to upgrade in a year I'd rather just leave my new system be for a while as I just spent a month and a half researching and building it. Depends on how much money I get and can round up. Also Laqure witcher 3 is very much about processor and my 770 actually runs it almost max. Whereas Titanfall 2 runs multiplayer like a sick dog with everything I have on my 770.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Video cards in the 1060/1070 region of performance typically should last 2-3 years* before you have the urge to get something new. The pattern I went through was 9600gt -> gtx 260 x2 sli -> gtx 670 -> gtx 1080.

*Based on performance jumps from previous generation jumps and subsequent performance demand on newer games vs older cards.

lincsman

Video cards in the 1060/1070 region of performance typically should last 2-3 years* before you have the urge to get something new. The pattern I went through was 9600gt -> gtx 260 x2 sli -> gtx 670 -> gtx 1080.

*Based on performance jumps from previous generation jumps and subsequent performance demand on newer games vs older cards.

Well my 770 is almost 4 years old and it is still doing acceptable I suppose, except titanfall 2 it really does poorly there. That is why I would rather get a 70 card as apposed to a 60. I went from 8800 GTX to GTX 650ti to GTX 770.