Bought RAM and now my PC wont load my games

Filter

Alright, I got 1 stick of 1 gig of DDR RAM for my PC. The instructions said to turn off my pc, unplug the power cord, open up my case, insert my RAM, close my case, plug in power cord and boot up. I did all of that. I started my PC and first tried to play coutner strike source, the game started up like normal, I went to a server and it got to "Sending server info" or whatever that message is, then it freezes and I have to do control alt delete and close it, I tried with other servers in this still happened. I tried to play BF2, and my PC started it up and then after a few seconds it gave me a blank screen and I had to close it because it froze.

And the thing is, all of these games worked with 512mb, they were laggy as hell, but they started up the games. I have 2 slots for memory in my PC, and it can hold a total of 2 gigs. Once I got the RAM I put it in the second slot, and then all of my problems started happening (first paragraph). Now, I turned off my PC and put the 1 gig in the first slot and the 512mb in the second slot, and source worked! But guess what? They are worse than having just the 512mb of RAM!

I am so confused, I don't know why any of this would happen, I went to the RAM manufacturer's website and looked to see if you needed to have a driver, and they didn't have anything, all they had were instructions on how to install the RAM.

I've got no clue what to do now, do I have to go mess with my computer (when you press F8 or whatever at startup) and change some settings to allow more RAM to be placed? I just don't get why the gameplay would be WORSE when I switched the sticks around. AND, the guy at best buy even told me it would work! I'm wondering if one of my slots doesn't work right... Please help, I got this RAM for my birthday gift from my parents for $120 and got a new headset with at as well, and I'm leaving to go on a plane in two days, I need this resolved ASAP! Thank you!

Also, the RAM is a 1 gig stick of DDR manufactured by Kingston. I bought it at bestbuy.

Last edited:

Filter

Yes it is prebuilt, and I don't know what kind of motherboard I have. If I'm correct, you can only use one stick of RAM at a time? I removed the 512mb and I'm left with the 1 gig in there. It sais "total RAM 1006mb". I now know that both of my drivers work adn my new RAM is in there, but I tried playing my games and they are still laggy! It also sais "L2 Cache RAM 512mb", could that be the problem? Do I need to switch it to say 1 gig instead of 512mb?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It sais "total RAM 1006mb".
That could be onboard video taking the other RAM. Your games wont play much better without a discrete video card, adding RAM only does so much.

firstcat

Don't know if you resolved it, I mixed a PNY with a Samsung on a MSI motherboard and had problems til I updated the bios