Brain Fart!

AlienMenace

Hello All,

Is a SATA 6gb backwards compatible to SATA 3gb (Hard Drive)? Or do I get just a SATA 3gb.

Putting a old system together for a friend that is on a set income. Can't afford anything new. Not in less he goes through Finger-hut to buy a overly priced computer.

This is what I have now:
AMD M3A78 AM2/AM2+ CPU Support up to 140W Motherboard.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core CPU.
Arctic Freezer Heatsink/fan (older version).
4gb - Patriot DDR2 - 2 X 2GB - PDC24G5300LLK - 667 MHz.
600W PSU.
Mid Tower Case.

What it needs to finish out is the Hard Drive, DVD-burner and a cheap video card.

All he does is internet. Facebook and such. No hard core gaming.
I'm going to install Linux Mint 18.2 (Mate) on it.

Thank you

AlienMenace

Thank you, my friend won't notice the difference anyway. He's working with a old xp Intel p4 right now with a IDE hard drive in it.

beers

Staff member
Yeah they're all compatible with each other. On a mechanical drive you won't see any performance delta from SATA 3 Gbps to SATA 6 Gbps.

SATA "II" @ 3 Gbps introduced some technologies like NCQ that help a bit over SATA 1.5 Gbps, but it'd have to be a super old drive to not support that.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
SATA 2 and 3 are functionally the same for mechanical hard drive as they won't ever saturate the bandwidth of 2 let alone 3. SSD's on the other hand...

2048Megabytes

Once you go with a solid state drive you never want to go back. I love how screaming fast they are. Windows 7 loads up in less than a minute.

AlienMenace

Once you go with a solid state drive you never want to go back. I love how screaming fast they are. Windows 7 loads up in less than a minute.
Well, my friend really doesn't know much about computers and no money for a SSD. That is why he's getting a 1tb regular drive.

Now me, I am going to replace my SSD in January from 128gb to a 275gb.