Bringing A Desktop Back From The Dead?

jbrown456

Hello,
I have a desktop PC that has been in the closet for a year or two.. I'm wondering if there is a way to make it usable again just temporarily, my laptop is gone in for warrenty repairs, so all I've got is my mom's computer. :(

It's a AMD computer with 512mb ram, and asus motherboard (running on internal graphics) and it is horribly unstable. It boots up and goes into windows fine, but theres funny things wrong with it. Only 2 of 6 USB ports work, and if you plug two things in at once, the computer makes a click and goes to a black screen. It also just randomly does this..

Antoher thing that i found weird is that when I plug my wireless card into it (USB) it won't detect any networks of if it does it wont connect and shows it as very weak, however the signal in the room is quite good, and I cant see any reason why it wouldn't work.

The card will connect in here on other computers..

Any ideas where to start?

Jeff

EDIT: Scratch the part on wireless, just tested it in another computer and it didn't work, must be a old crappy card. :(

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

But why would want to buy a 939?

I'm just saying, if you're going to spend money, you might
as well upgrade a bit instead of buying obsolete hardware.

The board I listed is about the same price.

Where did you find a 939?

hamada

for the usb , i think there is a conflict between the usb device and the motherboard , maybe that's why you have problem also with your wireless card because it's using the usb port .

i have to admit that if the usb ports are physically damages, the only thing you can do , is not using them , u can't repair them once they are damaged

bebopin64

But why would want to buy a 939?

I'm just saying, if you're going to spend money, you might
as well upgrade a bit instead of buying obsolete hardware.

The board I listed is about the same price.

Where did you find a 939?

well he might want to buy a 939 so he can have a working computer for $45. and since he said he only wants to use it temporarily i wouldnt suggest putting any more money into than needed.