Broken comp..................HELP!!!!!!

HPtallman

An older PC of my stoped turning on all of a sudden. When I press the power button, noting happens. No fans, lights, or anything. I tried a new power supply but it still didn't start. Any suggestions?

zipnogg

I can only say one thing: FRIED....

sorry, dude. My ultimate guess is that it's totally fried. if that PSU is supposed to be working fine, then ur mobo, cpu, or something is fried. I'd say some power slots of your mobo or something.

BTW, I'm new. Nice to meet you all.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Sounds as though your motherboard may be gone. It's never a good thing when it just does nothing :(. No beeps or anything right?

HPtallman

Thanks for the replies. I think you're right about the Mobo. nothing happens at all. oh well. it's just an old computer I was hoping to fix up. all I really need is the HD. but just for the record. if I replace the Mobo is there a good chance that the rest of the hardware still works?

zipnogg

yeah, dude. if I were you, I would take all the "supposedly working" parts of the computer out and try it out on another system that works fine.

Bobo

banned
HPtallman said:
An older PC of my stoped turning on all of a sudden. When I press the power button, noting happens. No fans, lights, or anything. I tried a new power supply but it still didn't start. Any suggestions?
Is everything hooked in right? No RAM will do that, but you'd have to have a broken fan, and a messed up or broken mobo for it to do nothing....

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
ut just for the record. if I replace the Mobo is there a good chance that the rest of the hardware still works?

Good chance on some, Fair chance on the others ;). When a motherboard blows it can take out some of the more sensitive components such as ram/cpu but in alot of cases even those things are just fine. Best thing to do as suggested already would be to try them before you toss them.

HPtallman

thanks for the replies. If I do just replace the mobo, would it be a difficult thing to remove the cpu on the broken mobo an install in on the new one? Never tried this before but i'm under the impression that once you put a cpu on a motherboard it is kinda stuck there?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What are the specs?

I can only say one thing: FRIED....
How can you say that? Coulda been something loose....

thanks for the replies. If I do just replace the mobo, would it be a difficult thing to remove the cpu on the broken mobo an install in on the new one?
Generally no if you're careful but it depends a bit on the motherboard