Broken CPU or motherboard?

alexjb

Hi all, I'm really needing some understanding and help here please,

Basically I sold the remains of my broken computer after upgrading to a newer more modern computer,
What had happened was that I couldn't get any signal to my monitor, me and my friend tried doing cmos reset and everything (he's amazing with computers and is a chemical engineer so I don't doubt him haha)

so basically what we did was we narrowed it down to two broken parts, and the other parts are now working in my computer so it's one of these two that was faulty

my MSI Z77a-G43 and intel i5 3570k

We both concluded that it must be the motherboard, so I had no choice but to upgrade, however after selling the items on ebay, I sold the motherboard as Broken, the CPU as working

However I've had quite a hard time and I've lost all the money from the sale, and have to pay the lady back... and I'm in a financial mess because of this...

So I was hoping someone can assist me please and let me know if she's taking me for a ride or not,

Is it typical for a i5 to break and get stuck on no input signal to monitor? or is that motherboard failure?
She told me that she tried it in her old asus motherboard and her brand new motherboard and she got into bios, and then got stuck on input no signal screen on both boards, however I couldn't even get into bios... but what told me the CPU is working is that every 1 in 50 attempts at turning the computer on it would find signal, and work perfectly fine for a good few weeks (if you kept it in sleep mode and didn't shut down)

Thanks guys would really appreciate the help!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would have first blamed the motherboard before the cpu but there is always a chance. You could have had both tested before selling. To make it right you have no choice but to accept it back and refund her money.

alexjb

Thanks John, I have accepted for a return but I really hope that she sends back the correct CPU, is there anyway of checking this? also thanks, out of interest is there a way to check my motherboard is working when its returned? I assume that must be working if it was the i5 that broke :) so thats good news for me :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Only way to test motherboard is to use known good parts in it. Take both to shop and have them figure out what is bad and what is good. If its a decent shop, they should have a good cpu that will work in your motherboard and a motherboard to test your cpu.

JLuchinski

Computer parts can be a tricky thing to sell. I never buy any parts without seeing them work properly because I have made the mistake of buying a motherboard all wrapped up nicely at a parking lot, brought it home, installed it properly annnnnnnnnd nothing. Contacted the seller and he said it was working when he removed it so I must of broke it while installing it and refused to refund my money. Same goes for selling. I never sell any parts without the buyer seeing it working properly before I pull it from my system and hand it over, this eliminates any issues that may arise afterwards. You said you sold the motherboard as broken, so your getting it back? And the only way to tell if she's sending you back the same cpu is when you get it back, you can give buyers a bad rating on Ebay if they try and take you for a ride.