broken GPU?

newcomputer20

while gaming at high resolution the system crashes. checking the GPU temperatures at this time they are 100. games play normally for sometimes hours before this happens sometimes minutes before a crash. idle the GPU sits on roughly 60 degrees and 60% fan speed. Ive cleaned all the dust from the computer with same problems. CPU temps are fine and hardly heat up when at load.

Oddly at high resolutions there isnt a drop in FPS until the crash happens where i get a jerky like effect while still measuring high FPS. im guessing its a hardware fault. the fan can be heard at all times as noisy.

the games ive been playing are starcraft 2 and counter strike global offensive. both can actually be played with moderate FPS using the intel integrated 3000 graphic adapter (on the i5 chip).

i think its a overheating faulty GPU ? any thoughts?

im pasting this also in GPU forum.

Rozyn

Well it could be a faulty GPU. You should ask the company that makes that product.

Also don't cross-post, it isn't allowed (I think)

newcomputer20

ok so i downloaded speedfan and set GPU fan to 100% while gaming and this has fixed the issue. even works ok at 80%ish so im guessing its some sort of software issue?

ive noticed something else though: http://i.imgur.com/jXTSM.jpg

the core temp of the processor under nuvoton is reaching temps of 90 degrees? how is this different to my i5 CPU core? and why is it so high?

EDIT: after a bit of reserach discovered this is the cputin and everyone is reading very high temps ? no reason to be worried at all?

Last edited:

Okedokey

Please download PC Wizard and install and run it, go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK. Copy the text out of that file into this thread.

Also please open the computer (assuming this is a desktop) and tell us the exact model and brand of power supply unit.

newcomputer20

PC Wizard 2012 Version 2.11
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: Microsoft
Organisation: Microsoft
User: *****
Computer Name: *****-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional Professional Media Center 6.01.7600
Report Date: Sunday 28 October 2012 at 11:10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : Asus P8Z68-V LX

> Chipset : Intel Z68

> Processor : Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3300 MHz

> Physical Memory : 8192 MB (2 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )

> Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD10EAVS-00D7B0 (1000GB)

> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD1600JS-75NCB3 (160GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : Toshiba-Samsung DVD+-RW TS-H653A

> Monitor Type : FS-270D - 27 inches

> Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 20 inches

> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

> Network Card : Atheros Communications AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter

> Operating System : Windows 7 Professional Professional Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)

> DirectX : Version 11.00

> Windows Performance Index : 5.5 on 7.9

***** End of report *****

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=PSE-AMB800&af=50

newcomputer20

so i discovered the problem: sometimes the GPU fan wouldnt spin at all. theres nothing in the way of it it just stops and tries to spin for a bit. sending it back to the manufacture. its an 8 month old XFX card by the way.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

Download Furmark, install, stress it and monitor your card. Don't trust tools like speedfan. Furmark will give you the exact temperatures and while monitoring your temps, look at your fan sometimes.

WeatherMan

Sounds like an overheating card

You say you have no problems with the fan at high speed? Although I don't know why your fan would stop spinning, good call sending it back to the manufacturer.

Bigfella has said you may have a PSU issue, I have looked up and down this thread but cannot find your PSU specs anywhere, could you repost it.

I am finding it hard to understand that you've had this card for 8 months without issue, a PSU problem would have caused this instantly, unlike a developing card fault.

Although the PSU caps may have aged, how old is your unit?

100c seems a bit high and the problems you have described seem to me much like the symptoms of overheating.

spirit

Staff member
Could be a combination of a bad PSU and an overheating card. I'd take the card out, spray it using compressed air to get rid of the dust, then see if the problem persists.

FuryRosewood

you cant get a 800W psu for the price you paid without sacrificing something. i think you need to consider a new supply.

ShrunkThatGUY

it sounds like a dodgey psu.
would you be able to post your psu specs?
the psu may not have enough output to power your gpu which would explain the gpu crashes, which sounds exactly like the gpu is overheating..
what is the wattage of your psu?

Okedokey

Sounds like an overheating card

You say you have no problems with the fan at high speed? Although I don't know why your fan would stop spinning, good call sending it back to the manufacturer.

Bigfella has said you may have a PSU issue, I have looked up and down this thread but cannot find your PSU specs anywhere, could you repost it.

I am finding it hard to understand that you've had this card for 8 months without issue, a PSU problem would have caused this instantly, unlike a developing card fault.

Although the PSU caps may have aged, how old is your unit?

100c seems a bit high and the problems you have described seem to me much like the symptoms of overheating.

The PSU was linked in the hardware post as requested and secondly your assertion in bold above is simply incorrect.

The PSU in question has a design standard at ATX2.2 meaning one of the two 12V rails is dedicated to the CPU, leaving only 22A for the rest of the 12V system. Insufficient regardless of caps. Then derate that rail (especially at full load conditions) and you probably have a system that can only provide around 200W for the 12V system minus the CPU. Thats not even factoring in ripple or other stability concerns.

Lack of sufficient power can cause overheating and certainly stability issues.

The PSU is insufficient regardless, and may have already caused other issues such as faulty RAM.

My thoughts are that the GPU is underpowered, causing heating issues, increasing load, further exaserbating the underpowered condition, eventually causing the 12V rail to out of spec = crash.

To the OP:

1. Remove any overclocks immediately
2. Reapply thermal paste on the CPU
3. Ensure Qfan is off in the bios
4. Get a new PSU. Something like a TX650 by Corsair.

Only after replacing the PSU (thus ensuring clean and sufficient power), will you be able to properly test if the ongoing underpowered PC has been damaged (e.g. RAM or GPU).

Continue to use this PSU and you risk losing the PC altogether and frankly, without changing it first, you're wasting everyone's time. Increasing the GPU fan speed is simply a band-aid solutions, don't come complaining when it goes bang. Similar situation here.

Last edited:

newcomputer20

THANK YOU for the replied. I had been wondering about the PSU but due to the GPU fan not working suddenly I assumed it couldn't be that.

I had stopped checking this post because I sent the GPU back but I will buy a new PSU now and keep you updated. Now you mention it one of my HD (the main one) had been making sounds like it was dying and I just assumed it was old. Could this be the cause ? Using a different one now - also no GPU in so shouldnt damage atm ?

I did actually run a fumark stress before for 10 minutes and GPU temps stayed around 80 during this time. But that was before I noticed the fan stopped working. It stopped randomly anywhere between 8 mins - 1 hour of gaming.

I've noticed some other crazy symptoms like the computer wouldnt post sometimes and restarted itself before posting sometimes but ignored because it would work the next time - and happeneds when I took out/put back in GPU etc so put it down to that.

All symptoms of bad PSU ?

That psu was the cheapest one I could get with the double rails i needed for the 6870 - will think twice before going cheap again.

Last edited: