BSOD- hard drive problem?

urbycoz

I'm getting BSOD frequently. It seems to be totally random as to when it happens. And the messages it gives are different virtually every time (although I know I've had a number of STOP messages).

I know all the advice about checking drivers (they seem fine), and uninstalling any new devices (no obvious culprit found). I've tried disconnecting every device except mouse, keyboard and monitor and I still get blue screen.

I have two sticks of RAM (1GB each), and have tried removing each of them one of a time. For some reason, it doesn't seem to ever blue screen when I do this. Surely both sticks of RAM are unlikely to be corrupt.

I'm guessing it's the hard-drive that needs replacing.

Anyone got any advice?

Aastii

VIP Member
I'm getting BSOD frequently. It seems to be totally random as to when it happens. And the messages it gives are different virtually every time (although I know I've had a number of STOP messages).

I know all the advice about checking drivers (they seem fine), and uninstalling any new devices (no obvious culprit found). I've tried disconnecting every device except mouse, keyboard and monitor and I still get blue screen.

I have two sticks of RAM (1GB each), and have tried removing each of them one of a time. For some reason, it doesn't seem to ever blue screen when I do this. Surely both sticks of RAM are unlikely to be corrupt.

I'm guessing it's the hard-drive that needs replacing.

Anyone got any advice?

you can try a memory test (RAM) with both sticks installed, using (free) Windows Memory Diagnostic at http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp.
Leave it to run overnight.

If the fault is detected, try four combinations of sticks/slots (each of the two sticks in each of two slots).

I'd sooner use memtest, it is tried and tested, and is not only the standard tool for the community, but for companies too; for instance if your memory passes memtest with Corsair, you are going to be having a hard time RMAing it ;)

Memtest is a tool which tests your memory for any errors. There are 2 versions: A bootable version, and one which can be run from a Windows environment. I would strongly recommend using the bootable one, as it is possible for your to experience a BSOD whilst it is running in a Windows environment, which will mean stopping and starting, or wasting more time

The downloads can be found here:

Bootable
Windows

The windows one can simply be run directly from the .exe file that you download, and left to run.

The bootable one must be burned to a disc as an image file. If you don't have a CD/DVD burner, then you can instead run this file to make a floppy disc or USB drive (should your motherboard support booting from USB devices) bootable.

Once you have your bootable version of memtest ready, restart your computer and boot from the device with memtest on, and allow it to run.

In both situations, either using the Windows or bootable version, the test should be left to run for at least 8 hours. Any errors in that time will indicate a problem with your memory. Should you have more than 1 stick of memory in your system, test each stick individually, by removing the others, and see if any specific sticks of memory are creating the errors. If it is only certain sticks that are causeing the problems, it is safe to say that it is the specific stick(s) that is(are) the root of your problem. If it fails with multiple sticks in, but passes each individually, it possible that you have memory that is incompatible with each other (or mismatched) or that your motherboard has a fault

urbycoz

Well none of the tests found any faults with the RAM unfortunately, even when left overnight.

I find it very unlikely that the two sticks are incompatible with each other, since they were both supplied with the machine, and seem to be absolutely identical.

Guess that means it must be the motherboard?