Bsod

csmdew

Getting BSOD w/error that says caused by usbport.sys; does anyone have any idea what could case this. The computer may run for days, hours, or weeks and then start shutting down. After a shut down if I leave it off for 30 secs and then retstart it may run again for an indeterminate time period. I have changed hd, formated and reloaded 3 times but cannot fix the problem...help..please.

PC eye

banned
Which version of Windows are you running and how much memory is installed would be the two questions that could use answers. 2gb or more will see that type of error appear.

This is typically seen with NVidia's nForce usb controllers. For Vista and XP MS offers some help on that seen at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528

StrangleHold

Staff member
Getting BSOD w/error that says caused by usbport.sys; does anyone have any idea what could case this. The computer may run for days, hours, or weeks and then start shutting down. After a shut down if I leave it off for 30 secs and then retstart it may run again for an indeterminate time period. I have changed hd, formated and reloaded 3 times but cannot fix the problem...help..please.

What have you got plugged into your USB ports? Have you tried uninstalling your USB ports from Device Manager, reboot and let windows reinstall them?

Which version of Windows are you running and how much memory is installed would be the two questions that could use answers. 2gb or more will see that type of error appear.

This is typically seen with NVidia's nForce usb controllers. For Vista and XP MS offers some help on that seen at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528

PC eye the dude has a AMD chipset. The same board that I have on this one.

PC eye

banned

But csmdew is running an NVidia driven video card seeing an NVidia vpu chip. As far as boards are concerned nForce, AMD, SIS chipsets all see a similar problem. Often or not however the version of drivers for the video card(NVidia in particular) will see BSODs with the usbport.sys or kmixer.sys files involved.

csmdew

Reloaded the video driver and everything was good for 2 days and then bsod apeared again and got new mini dump (anybody can read it?). Also I have 3 gbs of ram on xp pro sp3. Made a couple of changes to usb ports and let item reinstall; everything back up again now for about another 3 days. Not sure if the attached has any connection but this pops up at every startup in system viewer. Sorry I didn't get back sooner but working on it gets very aggravating. It also says the hotfix was made available in sp3 so not sure if I should install it or not; don't think it would hurt, would it.

Attachments

• systemerror.JPG
    systemerror.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Have you got a core2?

theres a kwown bug with core2s and usb in XP
MS have a hotix

He's running the AMD AM2 5000+ Black Edition shown in his sig. XP had other bugs as well when the dual core cpus first came out where a performance loss was noticable. A registry edit for multiple cpu systems was then applied as a corrective measure.

Going for the patch to see if that will help would be a thought. Again you may want to create a restore point anyways while it may just clean things up for you.

StrangleHold

Staff member
But csmdew is running an NVidia driven video card seeing an NVidia vpu chip. As far as boards are concerned nForce, AMD, SIS chipsets all see a similar problem. Often or not however the version of drivers for the video card(NVidia in particular) will see BSODs with the usbport.sys or kmixer.sys files involved.

I'm running A Nvidia GPU card too with the same motherboard. But the once again the (link) you gave was for a nvidia northbridge chipset.

PC eye

banned
csmdew do you have a web cam or other recently added usb device on? Sometimes you''ll see video quality start to drop off.

Another thing you may be looking at is seeing this type of error when something starts overheating like memory since you are leaving the system running 24/7? You made to add an extra fan or something like a memory cooler as well as cleaning the dust buildup out with a can of air cleaner.

csmdew

Don't run 24/7, usually no more than 12hrs at a time and all my temps are good along with a clean case. I have ran stress tests on everything and it never fails; but then all of the sudden, out of nowhere, it will shut down. Smetimes it restart and sometime not unless it is shut completly down. Webcam was never installed on this unit, still connect to other pc, I forgot all about it. So that's not the problem. I have 2 printers and a sd card read plugged in and that's it. The patch u referenced will not install since newer version is already installed with sp3.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Unplug your printers and card reader for awhile and see if the problem still jumps up. Plus afterwards you could try uninstalling your USBs from the device manager and restart and let windows reinstall them, might help.

PC eye

banned
With additional devices(not only usb) attached to the system a fault there can pull a system down fast. This also happens on occasion with usb hubs since more then one device is often used there.

If you still end up seeing any sudden restarts or shutdowns you may simply need either a fresh battery for the board or be having a board problem. Generally when a battery gets weak you will start having similar including unexplained error messages due to a loss of cmos information.

csmdew

Wouldn't think it would be a bad battery on a new board (5/6mos old) but guess it could. It hasn't shut down now in about 5 days but it has gone a month or so between shutdowns before, so guess I just wait and hope the driver updates did the trick.

PC eye

banned
I had a board on an older build that loved batteries! The old Socket A Asus model board at that ate them for breakfast! :p

The last build simply saw the battery quit after an even 12months while you generally see them last for upto 5yrs. often. But you also have to remember they are mass produced just like the AAs and AAAs you put into your tv or other remote control.

You know the story with a cheap brand of battery already. So far Duracell has been quite reliable as a replacement here. But that was still only one item to consider and usually you will see regular not only periodic problems once a battery starts to go.

Hopefully seeing a update needed go on good will solve things for you there. Another thought was only seeing something overheat on rare occasions explaining why you are not seeing high temps. The protection circuit will then simply come in and shut things down as a protective measure. Fan speed settings in the bios if one gets polluted with dust and slows down too much can also cause that.

csmdew

I'm like a lot of u guys, clean, clean, and clean again. I hear u on the battery and if I remember correctly I can change it out and not lose anything if I do it quickly, correct; if so I will do that if the problem pops up again. Only thing I can do now is see if its gonna keep going.

PC eye

banned
That will depend on the board there. On some boards along with removing the battery you also had to move a jumper over from pins #1+#2 to #2+#3 and then back once the battery was out of the holder. Newer boards simply require removing the battery for about 30 seconds.

But plan on re-entering time + date along with the setting changes if any from factory whenever you decide to do this. If you have a jumper for clearing the cmos that will be for an onboard cap that temporarily holds a charge in order to maintain the current information/settings while simply replacing a battery. If not...

csmdew

What have you got plugged into your USB ports? Have you tried uninstalling your USB ports from Device Manager, reboot and let windows reinstall them?

Hey guy u have the same board as me do u know how to Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing....I can't find it, thanks.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its disabled by default, not listed. And what PC eye was saying about resetting the bios. You dont have to take the battery out and reset it by the jumper. Just do one or the other.

csmdew

Thanks, like I say though its working good now so will see if the updated drivers and hd swap have fixed it. If it don't then will try the other stuff.

csmdew

Seems that 1 stick of memory was the problem; ran memtest half dozen times and never found any errors but after last bsod I decided to run memtest in safe mode and got errors on 1 stick even during the precheck. After 20% had so many I just removed it and ran the test on the other 3 (1 at a time) and no problems. Have just 2 in now and will se if the bsods return. First crucial I've had to be bad.