Budget $5000

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
incompatible yes but you know what I mean go with faster speeds with low timings
Do some reading up on server boards :)

Ill consider all of this. I'm not sure about the budget exactly at the moment but it is dfinitely >5000. It'll be for gaming and I'd prefer a LCD monitor by the way.
Well in that case, depending on how much you really have you can get this. If you've got enough $ than you can unskimp out on some of the parts of left out

Agreed. Go for an AMD based system, the FX-60 will outperform the P4 EE 955 easily.
Of course do realize that by getting a FX60 box you're investing $5000+ in a system that is, for all intents and purposes, discontinued and obsolete as of now

taz71

Yeap Dude!! What are we Dreaming HERE

P11 said:
2 GB's ONLY?? Are you crazy...lol, go for 4 gigs. As for the comp it seems like a excellent set-up. O, and since your client is so rich..id suggest buying a 32" Samsung LCD HDTV and using it as a primary computer monitor.

hahaha ... Yea Right

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeap Dude!! What are we Dreaming HERE
Maybe (although id boarderline on probably). I've put together $4K and $5K boxes for people in the past so it definitely happens...not common, but it does happen.

H_L

Would you notice the difference in games with these insane specs? I’m thinking you wouldn’t but I don’t know

liquidshadow

Would the SCSI drives be worth it?
In your opinion Praetor, would it be better to wait for the AM2 socket or go with this one? We're currently trying to decide this matter.

34erd

liquidshadow said:
In your opinion Praetor, would it be better to wait for the AM2 socket or go with this one? We're currently trying to decide this matter.
Well AM2 has been delayed to Q3 '06, so that means its going to be delayed even more :p

I would just get a S939 rig but if he can then you'll also get more money with an AM2 rig ;)

H_L

I have a feeling that games are only programmed so far is that correct?
Compared to a $3000 machine do you really need over 2gig of fast ram and massive raptor raid?

ReturnToEmpire

AM2 supports DDR2 RAM. also there is a change in the HTT it will be 333 MHz stock i think. but id get the socket 939 build right now, as it will still compete with AM2 i believe when AM2 finally does release.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
AM2 is a desktop platform. I've specified a server box. For all intents and purposes, if you're asking that questoin... you wont notice the difference. Ever. As for SCSI, anything short of SCSI would be unbalanced

I have a feeling that games are only programmed so far is that correct?
Huh?

Compared to a $3000 machine do you really need over 2gig of fast ram and massive raptor raid?
Where's the massive raptor raid?

liquidshadow

The dual processor would be much better than the dual-core right?
I think that'd be my last questione except I might need help setting up the RAID and stuff later. Thanks Praetor.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The dual processor would be much better than the dual-core right?
1. LOL you really wont notice then :p
2. Do your research on the Opteron 280s. They are SMP and dualcore

liquidshadow

^
Why the x1800xt? There is the x1900XTX.
Why the FX-57 instead of the Opterons or the FX-60?
Why a black panel for a silver case?

@Praetor: I'll probably go with your setup. The budget I think is alright.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Not to mention the use of the non-elite version of the memory which requires an extra 0.05v vDimm :) and the use of Sony optical drives