After a ton of consideration I recently decided to build my first budget gaming pc. I've been looking around mainly through www.amazon.co.uk for all the pieces. Knowing nothing about building pc's I was only able to pick and choose a few basic peices but now I need your help with the real techincal parts.
For the case I went with the Antec Nine Hundred because it was the same one in the 'step-by-step' thread so figured it would be easier to build alongside the pictures.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000JMJS7A/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1UQ4F1GL6W7
For the power supply I was looking at the 'Colors-IT 750w Gold 12CM Silent Power Supply'
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0016ZUE3Q/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
The customer reviews all seemed rather positive and like in the step-by-step thread its also 750w so I figured that was probably a safe option. Its dirt cheap too compared to other 750w power supply's on the site which helps.
For the internal hard drive I went with a 'Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache)'
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IKKCLS/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Again like in the 'step-by-step' thread a Seagate hard drive was being used, so once again I thought this was the safest option.
But.. now I'm at a loss because the case, power supply and hard drive was all that I could decide upon.
Everything else like the motherboard ect seemed far to complicated to choose between even with the few reviews they all had. A lot of the time I'm put off from a single bad review but figured, reviews arnt always accurate and that wouldnt put you guys off since you know what your actually looking at.
I have £500.00 to spend although I could stretch it a little further. So far from the 3 peices I have showed you my current total is at £145.66 not including the delivery charge. I dont know if I need to purchase a specific motherboard for a HDMI port because I would really need one of these to connect to the screen I'm using which would be my current tv.
Was just browsing through the graphic cards and the Sapphire HD5770 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card seems to stand out at £131.40.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-HD...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280832572&sr=1-1
Another which peaked my interest was the Asus ATI Radeon HD 5770 CuCore 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card at a price of £140.99 from overclockers, would it be worth the extra £10 rather than the Sapphire?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-219-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=
What do you think of these? are they even worth considering?
Edit**
Browsing through sound cards I've stumbled across something which might sound ridiculous but I'll ask anyway. Is it necessary to have a sound card to have any sound or can you get some kind of regular dafault sound from another device such as motherboard or graphics card? I always assumed you require a sound card to get any sound is that the case? If not then I'll leave the sound card to save some cash and maybe add one later.
As far as the CPU cooler this Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler looks like it could be enough at £15.00
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cool...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280836711&sr=8-1
Trying to find similar ram to the one used in the 'step-by-step' guide I decided to look through Corsair brands and at £84.99 this Corsair 4GB 800MHz C5 DDR2 Memory Kit seems it could be enough with 4gig thats if its compatible with the rest of the components.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-4GB...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280837725&sr=8-9
UPDATE
With all the pieces I've selected which include:
Case - Antec Nine Hundred
Power Supply - Colors-IT 750w Gold 12CM Silent Power Supply
Internal Hard Drive - Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache)
CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Ram - Corsair 4GB 800MHz C5 DDR2 Memory Kit
Graphics Card -Sapphire HD5770 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
or - Asus ATI Radeon HD 5770 CuCore 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
The current total is give or take about roughly £400
How much would I need to spend to get a decent gaming performance out from a motherboard and processer?
Would also need to it be able to handle 4gig ram and everything else up on the list.
For the case I went with the Antec Nine Hundred because it was the same one in the 'step-by-step' thread so figured it would be easier to build alongside the pictures.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000JMJS7A/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1UQ4F1GL6W7
For the power supply I was looking at the 'Colors-IT 750w Gold 12CM Silent Power Supply'
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0016ZUE3Q/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
The customer reviews all seemed rather positive and like in the step-by-step thread its also 750w so I figured that was probably a safe option. Its dirt cheap too compared to other 750w power supply's on the site which helps.
For the internal hard drive I went with a 'Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache)'
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IKKCLS/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Again like in the 'step-by-step' thread a Seagate hard drive was being used, so once again I thought this was the safest option.
But.. now I'm at a loss because the case, power supply and hard drive was all that I could decide upon.
Everything else like the motherboard ect seemed far to complicated to choose between even with the few reviews they all had. A lot of the time I'm put off from a single bad review but figured, reviews arnt always accurate and that wouldnt put you guys off since you know what your actually looking at.
I have £500.00 to spend although I could stretch it a little further. So far from the 3 peices I have showed you my current total is at £145.66 not including the delivery charge. I dont know if I need to purchase a specific motherboard for a HDMI port because I would really need one of these to connect to the screen I'm using which would be my current tv.
Was just browsing through the graphic cards and the Sapphire HD5770 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card seems to stand out at £131.40.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-HD...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280832572&sr=1-1
Another which peaked my interest was the Asus ATI Radeon HD 5770 CuCore 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card at a price of £140.99 from overclockers, would it be worth the extra £10 rather than the Sapphire?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-219-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=
What do you think of these? are they even worth considering?
Edit**
Browsing through sound cards I've stumbled across something which might sound ridiculous but I'll ask anyway. Is it necessary to have a sound card to have any sound or can you get some kind of regular dafault sound from another device such as motherboard or graphics card? I always assumed you require a sound card to get any sound is that the case? If not then I'll leave the sound card to save some cash and maybe add one later.
As far as the CPU cooler this Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler looks like it could be enough at £15.00
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cool...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280836711&sr=8-1
Trying to find similar ram to the one used in the 'step-by-step' guide I decided to look through Corsair brands and at £84.99 this Corsair 4GB 800MHz C5 DDR2 Memory Kit seems it could be enough with 4gig thats if its compatible with the rest of the components.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-4GB...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280837725&sr=8-9
UPDATE
With all the pieces I've selected which include:
Case - Antec Nine Hundred
Power Supply - Colors-IT 750w Gold 12CM Silent Power Supply
Internal Hard Drive - Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache)
CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Ram - Corsair 4GB 800MHz C5 DDR2 Memory Kit
Graphics Card -Sapphire HD5770 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
or - Asus ATI Radeon HD 5770 CuCore 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
The current total is give or take about roughly £400
How much would I need to spend to get a decent gaming performance out from a motherboard and processer?
Would also need to it be able to handle 4gig ram and everything else up on the list.
Last edited: