Budget Gaming Rig: Good or Bad?

Here's my build:

AMD Athlon II 64 X4 645 Quad-Core 3.1GHz Processor AM3

AMD STANDARD COOLING FAN

Asus M4A78LT-M Socket AM3/ AMD 760G/ A&V&GbE/ MATX Motherboard

4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333MHz (PC3 10600) Dual Channel

Hitachi / WD 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB CACHE SATA 3.0Gb/s

24X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW W/LIGHTSCRIBE

ATI Radeon HD 3000 FULL HD 1080p 512MB DVI/HDTV PCI-Express Video Card (Onboard)

REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)

APEVIA X-Plorer2 Case w/ Side Window-Blue

(2X) OKIA 80MM CASE COOLER

hec X ORION 585 WATT POWER SUPPLY (MEDIUM LOAD)

GeForce 460 SE Video Card (dedicated)

GRAND TOTAL: 548$ All prebuilt, must add dedicated card myself.

QUESTION 1: Are all the parts of good quality?
QUESTION 2 Will everything work well together? (ex: mobo and gpu etc.)
QUESTION 3: Is the PSU large enough and of good enough quality for my rig?
QUESTION 4: Is it a good deal?

I think its a very good deal for a prebuilt but I want other opinions, thanks. :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*****EDIT: changed mobo to Asus M4N68T-M, case to BCC VOYAGER MID-TOWER ATX, HDD to WD 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s, and PSU to Corsair CMPSU-500CXV2 Builder Series™ CX500 Power Supply - 500W, 80 Plus, 120mm Fan, Single +12V Rail, Active PFC*****
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Grand Total: $537

Last edited:

Quickpaw

never go with a hitachi hard drive. go with a western digital caviar black or a similar seagate hdd.

if you're able to, i'd switch to a modular power supply in a better brand
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016 check this one out maybe?

without checking myself, i figure if its a prebuilt machine then it should all be compatible out of the box. its not that bad a deal, you may find better value in a custom build though.

Thanks for the reply. I know hitachi sucks but if you notice my drive says hitachi/ WD so I guess I can choose western digital instead. All the other psu's were too expensive. Is this one bad or something? What do you mean modular?

Casey

Like all said above, get a better PSU and HDD, and yes, I would try to get an updated motherboard, it looks a bit dated. And honestly if you have the money just go ahead and get a 560 or a 560ti, or just go ATI/Radeon and grab a 6850-6870. Anywhere in there. It would be worth the money.

2048Megabytes

If you want some more options on power supply manufacturers pick from any of the following:

Good Quality Power Supplies
Antec, Channelwell, Corsair, Delta, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, SeaSonic, Silverstone, XFX, and Zalman

Okay Quality Power Supplies
OCZ, Sparkle Power, Thermaltake, XClio

Okedokey

Also consider a i3 system, 550W Corsair PSU, 4GB ddr3 ram, lga1155 motherboard and wd 250gb hdd, nice and cheap and powerful.

New Build

What do you think of this?

Intel Core i3 Processor i3-2100 3.1GHz 3MB DUAL CORE

INTEL STANDARD PROCESSOR COOLING FAN

Asus P8H67-M LE B3 REV 3.0 LGA1155/ Intel H67/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ MATX Motherboard

8GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz dual channeled

GTX 460 1GB

SEAGATE / WD 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s

24X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW W/LIGHTSCRIBE

INTEL HD 2000/3000 1GB HDMI/DVI/VGA 1080p PCI-EXPRESS VIDEO (ONBOARD)

REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)

Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ANTEC 650W HIGH PERFORMANCE SLI/CROSSFIRE POWER SUPPLY

All for $710

In my opinion I would take a Phenom II 840 or a Phenom II 945 Quad-Core Processor over an Intel i3 2100 Dual-Core.

AMD Phenom II X4 840 (3.2 gigahertz) Quad-Core Processor - $105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=Phenom_II_processor-_-19-103-921-_-Product

I was considering that at first. 2 extra physical cores beat 2 hyper threaded cores all day long. Plus true quads are better for non-gaming multitasking. Should I pay more for am3+ board or will am3 be okay?

Changed my mind I'm sticking with intel. Benchmarks prove that i3-2100 destroys quad phenoms in terms of gaming but it worse for video editing and stuff. Plus when ivy bridges come out sandy's will become cheaper. On the 1155 socket I can go all the up to i7 k's, plenty of upgrade room.

Okedokey

sandy bridge will demolish amd, no worries there, and if you want to wait, then get LGA2011 Sandybridge E, which will smash bulldozer no doubt at all. Also sandy bridge ocs like no ones business.

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
sandy bridge will demolish amd, no worries there, and if you want to wait, then get LGA2011 Sandybridge E, which will smash bulldozer no doubt at all. Also sandy bridge ocs like no ones business.

Have you personally used an AM3+ chip to know this, or just guesswork?

There is no credible evidence to say bulldozer will be any better or worse than Sandy Bridge at this point

Okedokey

Have you personally used an AM3+ chip to know this, or just guesswork?

There is no credible evidence to say bulldozer will be any better or worse than Sandy Bridge at this point

Have you? No, so its speculation obviously, don't need to be a genius to work that out. Just going on past performances with multiple generations. Not convinced this will be the savior for AMD, plus sandy bridge E is coming out so its a pointless release unless its super good. Also, the sandy's are pretty awesome mate. But as i said, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is are you? Even if in some insane overclock specific scenario the Bullsh*t chip is better, the LGA2011 will come out and trounce it - my prediction, but a valid one. But you're right, only time will tell.... back to war hey mate ? ;)

Last edited: