budget graphics card? (SOLVED)

Grantapus

i was just running FSX (flight sim X) and the game crashed saying that i had no memory. it is laggy too.
i have 16 GB of ram in my pc, so it must be my video card. i have a pny nividia geforce gt 710. its a junky card.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Up your budget another $15 + shipping and I'll sell you a GTX 670.
Or for $35 + shipping I'll sell you an HD 6850.
$150 + shipping I'll sell you a GTX 970.

Intel_man

VIP Member
i was just running FSX (flight sim X) and the game crashed saying that i had no memory. it is laggy too.
i have 16 GB of ram in my pc, so it must be my video card. i have a pny nividia geforce gt 710. its a junky card.
Fsx doesn't use gpu much. It's primarily tied to cpu performance. It's also a 32 bit software which limits ram usage to 4gb so you can have 128gb of ram and wouldn't help you here.

Grantapus

Up your budget another $15 + shipping and I'll sell you a GTX 670.
Or for $35 + shipping I'll sell you an HD 6850.
$150 + shipping I'll sell you a GTX 970.
what brand? will they make my game run smooth?

Fsx doesn't use gpu much. It's primarily tied to cpu performance. It's also a 32 bit software which limits ram usage to 4gb so you can have 128gb of ram and wouldn't help you here.
my cpu is a pretty good cpu. i would think that older games like this would run fine on my fx 6300

Last edited by a moderator:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
what brand? will they make my game run smooth?
The GTX 670 is an ASUS and looks like this
2012-07-23-product-4.jpg

The HD6850 is a Gigabyte card
GV_R685OC1GD_Frontview.jpg

The GTX 970 is an MSI
14-127-832-24.jpg

Not really... Fsx runs like crap on my W3690... So... Your fx6300 doesn't stand a chance.
Yeah FSX is really poorly optimized and runs like shit even on some of the best systems. FS2004 was the last good version.

Grantapus

The GTX 670 is an ASUS and looks like this
2012-07-23-product-4.jpg

The HD6850 is a Gigabyte card
GV_R685OC1GD_Frontview.jpg

The GTX 970 is an MSI
14-127-832-24.jpg

Yeah FSX is really poorly optimized and runs like */ even on some of the best systems. FS2004 was the last good version.

okay. so can you give the full prices of all these including shipping?

oh, and one of my monitors uses vga, and the other one uses DVI. just a heads up :(

voyagerfan99

Staff member
hold on. is Geoff a co-worker or something?
No. He's just a friend. We both work in IT though.

The 13% was a reference to this mug:
s-l300.jpg

what do you do for work??
To answer this question, I'm a sysadmin for an MSP (managed service provider). I support my internal in-house developers with any help desk issues and also maintain our internal datacenter.

I also manage client networks and infrastructure and provide help desk support for those client users (I handle about 12 clients myself).

Grantapus

No. He's just a friend. We both work in IT though.

The 13% was a reference to this mug:
s-l300.jpg

To answer this question, I'm a sysadmin for an MSP (managed service provider). I support my internal in-house developers with any help desk issues and also maintain our internal datacenter.

I also manage client networks and infrastructure and provide help desk support for those client users (I handle about 12 clients myself).
Sweet!

Grantapus

Thanks for all the help guys, but i upgraded to FSX Steam Editon and im not having a single problem. it runs very smooth and loads fast.