Budget - Home NAS server

suiathon

I'd like to purchase a NAS home server with a budget of about $500. Synology and QNAP look like good options, however I am not sure if there are cheaper options.

My needs:
- Plex compatible, up to 1080p.
- 2-4 TB storage for entire library of files and media. I believe 2 bay storage will suffice.
- I'll probably use portable hard drives for any excess storage.​
- Dropbox-like feature so that I can stop paying an annual fee for something I don't really use.
- Although I enjoy tinkering with hardware, etc., I hesitate at doing a custom FreeNAS build. But if you convince me otherwise, I may go that route too. I don't want to spend a lot of time fixing issues.
- Secure :)
- $450-600 range if possible.

Thanks for any input!

beers

Staff member
The Synology and qnap would struggle transcoding video if you could even add Plex to them. You'd really have to host Plex in another server for reasonable performance.

beers

Staff member
Is it efficient to purchase NAS for backup and having an transcoder on the side? (is that an option?)
You can do that but it's essentially two servers. Some of the i3 or Xeon NAS listed in that google docs sheet would be your best bet.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yea those i3's will do 1080p encoding with ease. They'll even do 4k encoding from some people discussing it on other NAS forums. But none of those come in below $500 unfortunately, atleast not that I know of.