Budget PC (Intel or AMD)

ZeroWing

New Member
My dad has always had a slow computer and bought me fast ones. Now that I'm old enough I want to return the favor by building him a nice PC. I was wondering whether to go AMD or Intel since Intel is more solid but AMD is cheaper. I want the price to be as low as possible w/o the ratio for Price:Quality getting off balance. He doesnt game at all except for when we play AOE2 over LAN. I was thinking of a mobo with built in graphics and a cheap processor that wont crap out when he is surfing the web or watching a movie. With all of that in mind I was wondering what your feedback would be for the base of the PC. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
 
Budget is say under $400? this means EVERYTHING for the comp except maybe RAM and HDD since i have spares
 
Get one of the AMD 780G boards, such as the one from gigabyte or asus both great boards.
The onboard video is decent in its own right...
As for CPU i'm not sure but i think most x2's should suffice.
As for case.. not sure but ATX and mATX both work since the mobo is mATX.
 
OK, well for $400 you would go for an AMD:


Total - No rebates - $346.45
Total - Rebates - $301.00


if you do the rebates, i say get a new power supply, i recommend this one.
 
OK, well for $400 you would go for an AMD:


Total - No rebates - $346.45
Total - Rebates - $301.00


if you do the rebates, i say get a new power supply, i recommend this one.

+1
But I suggest getting a $50-60 graphic card...
 
OK, well for $400 you would go for an AMD:


Total - No rebates - $346.45
Total - Rebates - $301.00


if you do the rebates, i say get a new power supply, i recommend this one.

I have a spare HDD and 2GB of ram. Thatll knock $100 off the price and I can get a decent graphics card for that, do I rly need a card though?
 
I have a spare HDD and 2GB of ram. Thatll knock $100 off the price and I can get a decent graphics card for that, do I rly need a card though?

video card???

Well for what your dad will be doing, no......... i don't have one, i use the one on the motherboard. I have no problems. Just i never game, the occasional flash game, but that is it.

OK, what is the hard drive??? Sata??? If not, get the one i have said...

The ram... is it DDR2???? If not, you'll need to get the one i have said.
 
video card???

Well for what your dad will be doing, no......... i don't have one, i use the one on the motherboard. I have no problems. Just i never game, the occasional flash game, but that is it.

OK, what is the hard drive??? Sata??? If not, get the one i have said...

The ram... is it DDR2???? If not, you'll need to get the one i have said.

the RAM is DDR2 and the HDD is sata, they are from the computer I have now. I just bought a bigger HDD and I dont need the 2gb.
I also want the computer to be nice and small so it doesnt take much space up. I was thinking of going mini.
 
Last edited:
the RAM is DDR2 and the HDD is sata, they are from the computer I have now. I just bought a bigger HDD and I dont need the 2gb.
I also want the computer to be nice and small so it doesnt take much space up. I was thinking of going mini.

well all you want is a small case......
 
I have a SATA 80GB HDD for this comp already.
PSU (not sure if I need it I need to check the PSU in my dads current comp)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182017

Any suggestions?

I would not buy power supplies made by Rosewill. I have heard they have questionable quality. Take a look at this Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500 Watt ATX Power Supply - $65

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

(There is also a $30 rebate but some people have been complaining that they are not getting their rebate money back).
 
Back
Top