build a gaming computer or buy a PS3?

goosy22

topic question...

i guess i'm curious if it's worth waiting for the PS3, probably won't get my hands on one 'til next year, or should i wait and build a C2D monster? i have a 360 already and was gonna buy a PS3 but i figured why have 2 consoles...

anyways, i would like some suggestions, comments, etc...

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
It is always nice to have the two consoles but I'd build the PC. The 360 is a great console and the PC is a great everything machine.

Yup I'd build a new PC and consider the PS3 when It comes down in price.

goosy22

[-0MEGA-];488484 said:
Which wont happen for a long time, seeing as how the Xbox360 is the same price now as when it was released last year.

agreed... and don't lots of online PC games charge online fees??? i mean i already pay $50 bucks a year for a service that's rarely used, i don't want that to double or triple...

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Which wont happen for a long time, seeing as how the Xbox360 is the same price now as when it was released last year.
This is besides the point. I'd still wait.

agreed... and don't lots of online PC games charge online fees??? i mean i already pay $50 bucks a year for a service that's rarely used, i don't want that to double or triple...
uh no.... Average PC game charges nothing. Some MMORPG's charge you monthly fees.

Edit:

Besides, does X-box live not charge a monthly fee? For the most part it is free to play your PC games online. When I suggested the new PC It thought you might have been a seasoned PC user/gamer, now that it appears otherwise I'll suggest the console.

Last edited:

goosy22

This is besides the point. I'd still wait.

uh no.... Average PC game charges nothing. Some MMORPG's charge you monthly fees.

Edit:

Besides, does X-box live not charge a monthly fee? For the most part it is free to play your PC games online.

i meant online games, specifically MMORPG's... and yes i said my 360 costs me 50 bucks a year to play games online...

helmie

[-0MEGA-];488484 said:

Theres a price drop in Q1 of '07 I think, but even so, they are still selling loads. Infact, the sales increased by 150% odd the week before the PS3 launch :D

Then use Xbox live Silver. Free.

Trust me, you arnt NEARLY close to the true 360 experience untill you play games such as Gears of War and COD3 online.

bigsaucybob

Theres a price drop in Q1 of '07 I think, but even so, they are still selling loads. Infact, the sales increased by 150% odd the week before the PS3 launch :D

Would you happen to have a link to that fact, I am not trying to prove you wrong or anything. It's music to my ears, I just wanna show it to some other people.

Then use Xbox live Silver. Free.
Yes on Silver you can downlaod demos and movies and stuff, but you cannot play online during the week. I beleive with Silver you can play online on weekends.

Trust me, you arnt NEARLY close to the true 360 experience untill you play games such as Gears of War and COD3 online.

Gears of War online is worth buying an Xbox 360 alone, I havent tried COD3 online but I have heard its excellent.

Stick with a PC, who needs the PS3.

tlarkin

VIP Member
how about get a PC and buy a Wii LOL

Anyways, I would be very weary of buying a new cutting edge sony product. If you follow their history of technology, you will see many failed flops and attempts to bring in a new piece of technology into an exsiting market.

The only major difference is this time, they are depending on their die hard PS2 fans to dogmatically buy a PS3, and thus supporting their little baby, blu ray. Before they just introduced new items on the market and just expected people to buy it based off the brand name alone.

I am going to hold off for at least a year if not 2 years before I invest in a PS3. They won't stop developement for PS2, and any really great PS3 game will probably eventually be ported over to the PC.

Plus, lets all face it here, these days sony products just suck in general, and are also generally over priced compared to their competitors.

goosy22

Yes on Silver you can downlaod demos and movies and stuff, but you cannot play online during the week. I beleive with Silver you can play online on weekends.

don't know about the weekend thing for sure... but to my knowledge, it's just downloading game extras (most are Gold member exclusives though), demos, and movies... no actuall online game playing...

bigsaucybob

don't know about the weekend thing for sure... but to my knowledge, it's just downloading game extras (most are Gold member exclusives though), demos, and movies... no actuall online game playing...

I dont know if it was a permanent thing or not, it might have been like a short promotion.

Jet

VIP Member
It is all in what you want to do. If you want to leave us forever, and be tied to a tv screen for the next few months, go ahead and get the PS3. If you want gaming and still want to have a great performer in everyday tasks, go ahead and build a new computer.

a123

i agree with Jet ^^^^^

with a computer, you can game and do other stuff, many other stuff...

with another console u'll just be able to play even more games...

all comes down to what is more convenient for you.

Build4speed

What does a console offer that you can't achieve with a desktop and the same game? From some of the conversation here I'm guessing you are'nt able to connect online with other players on a console with your pc? Besides that what other things are you not able to do. I'm planning on building a monster system and would like to know. TIA

Mike

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah i would build the new computer because the Ps3 is gonna be expensive.

And since i turned to Pc gaming i havnt played on my Ps2 since (I prefer pc gaming much better)

Archangel

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];488484 said:

ofcourse the fact that there wasnt a other console to compete with the 360 has nothing to do with that.. ;) :)