Build/Buy: I just want the *%$# to fly!

Funzo6785

banned
um...

ummm... whoops :D
I don't understand why you wouldn't want the fastest cpu possible. I mean why get a Intel P4 3.0Ghz when for a little more $$$ you could get a lightning fast AMD Athlon 3700? He did say he wants to fly, which the athlon would do for him. And I just said get a monitor because thats one less thing for him to buy seperatly. And I dunno why I reccomended that other stuff that wouldn't work, sucks, ect... If I remember right I was so tired i could barely keep my eyes open, but i dunno.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Whats life without bling bling
Fast. :D ;)

Your not gonna beat that price by building a computer yourself.
Actually...... (and depending on what you do Excel can be seriously a system breaker heehe)

I don't understand why you wouldn't want the fastest cpu possible. I mean why get a Intel P4 3.0Ghz when for a little more $$$ you could get a lightning fast AMD Athlon 3700?
1. Computer speed is measured in Hz. The Intel is faster :p
2. He said he's interested in mass multitasking, AMD has no place there

Yeah........just a "little" more money
Aye, P4-530 is much more affordable than people give it credit for ... to compare the 2nd bottom P4-5xx to the top S754 chip is folly

Funzo6785

banned
1. ur telling me that a top of the line proccesor that runs games at 200fps is slower than a P4 530? just cause of hertz?
2. my bad, the price difference doesn't seem like much to me

Yeti

VIP Member
Actually, I think he's just trying to start another arguement about clock speed versus efficiency :p. Either way I would recommend something with hyperthreading for heavy multitasking.

Lax

VIP Member
Funzo6785 said:
ok fine go with the P4 530
lol, no need to get angry cause the AMD wasn't the best for his uses. The AMD is good for gaming, the Intel for processor intensive things which is what it sounds like he's doing.

Goet

Yikes!

Sorry to start a war! :D

I've seriously looked at Dell. My only issue is that I don't get to puzzlepiece it and end up with a lot of crap that I DON'T need in addition to integrated crap that I don't want. I'd like to be able to upgrade should I need to in the future instead of starting with a whole new case, etc. I'm not a computer geek, so one nice functioning pc at home and one at work (like it works well) is fine by me.

Thanks for all the suggestions. You guys gave me a lot homework. :)

Funzo6785

banned
all

all he said is that he wants to fly. The P4 530 will do htat efficiently, the AMD AThlon 3700 would be faster. I just created the fastest computer on his budget and for his needs. But I must say, a 3.2 ghz http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=19-116-197&DEPA=1 would really deliver the speed that you want, and would be lightyears faster than the 3.0 Ghz especially if you OC it. But I am a gamer, and also desiret he most powerful of everything, and I don't like Intel.

Funzo6785

banned
a dell ehh? Well, I went onto Dell, and found the 4700. I then upgraded to a 3.2 Ghz cpu, one gigabyte of memory, a 128mb PCI-E ATI X-300(which would be great for your needs, and an 80 gig hd which should be great for bussiness work(though if your going to be storing massive amounts of ireplaceble info, you may want to look into a cheap 100 Gig external hd. final price-$949

mgoldb2

VIP Member
a 3.2 ghz http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...-116-197&DEPA=1 would really deliver the speed that you want, and would be lightyears faster than the 3.0 Ghz especially if you OC it.

I hope your definition of lightyear is small because the difference between a 3.0ghz and a 3.2ghz is small. He proberly would not even notice the difference in the things he plan on doing. next am pretty sure he not planning on overclocking.

But I am a gamer, and also desiret he most powerful of everything, and I don't like Intel.

being a gamer is not a reason to recmomend what best for gamers to someone that dont game. personal perference should not have a effect on your advice. we are here to give the best possiable advice for what intent and budget someone has.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. ur telling me that a top of the line proccesor that runs games at 200fps is slower than a P4 530? just cause of hertz?
1. It's not top of the line
2. Let's drop the fanboysm and have a look at this http://www.computerforum.com/showpost.php?p=71531&postcount=1
3. Yes I am saying that. CPU speed is measured in Hz -- not fps. Whether thats meaningful is something else.

2. my bad, the price difference doesn't seem like much to me
1. Not all of us are born rich or have our parent buy stuff for us
2. If a 50% increase in price is "not that much" than I guess there's nothing anyone can say to you.

all he said is that he wants to fly. The P4 530 will do htat efficiently, the AMD AThlon 3700 would be faster.
The last time I checked, the 3700+ is not faster than 3.0GHz. Speed is measured in Hz.

all he said is that he wants to fly.
He also said what he wanted to use the system for.

The P4 530 will do htat efficiently, the AMD AThlon 3700 would be faster
Actually u managed to get that a bit backwards. AMD chips are more clock efficient.

being a gamer is not a reason to recmomend what best for gamers to someone that dont game. personal perference should not have a effect on your advice. we are here to give the best possiable advice for what intent and budget someone has.
With age that ability will come.

Goet

The only problem with the Dell is I end up paying so much more for Brand, when i can build it myself for cheaper. Besides, I want a challenge :)

As for gaming... if I had time to play, I'd buy an X-box for $150 versus ten times that for a decent gaming platform. That's a lot of games!!!

What do you guys think of the build-to-order websites. It would be so nice to just click on "quality" parts to order like so, but it seems like they're all prepackeged dealies.

Lax

VIP Member
It's still probably cheaper to buy all your parts from one site (sometimes you get a discount) or just look for the cheapest parts (price wise) from trusted sites and build it yourself. Even if you buy one of those "build your own" systems you're still going to get hit with the cost of the people trying to turn a profit.

Goet

Lord AnthraX said:
It's still probably cheaper to buy all your parts from one site (sometimes you get a discount) or just look for the cheapest parts (price wise) from trusted sites and build it yourself. Even if you buy one of those "build your own" systems you're still going to get hit with the cost of the people trying to turn a profit.
Exactly what I'm finding out. My biggest peeve is that they tell me the mHz but not the brand or just bleed stats without telling me if the part was made in some sweat shop in a third world country. I want decent parts. :)

xDarkWizardx

Dell is asking $495 for a complete setup

2.4 GHz Celeron
40 gig ATA HDD
256 MB DDR SDRAM
48x CD/DVD drive
Windows XP Home
and a 15 inch LCD screen

That setup will run Excel and IE 6.0 just fine.
And you couldn't beat that deal with a stick. :)

Funzo6785

banned
mgoldb2 said:
I reccomended a more down to earth system for him if you didn't notice. And I'm standing by what I said. I would suggest a 3.2 Ghz because if his demands ever change, that cpu is one less thing to have to upgrade.

Funzo6785

banned
Praetor said:
1. Not all of us are born rich or have our parent buy stuff for us
I'm not by any means rich, im 13 years old and all I have is six familys that overpay for babysitting. By next year I'll be making $300+ a month, and my parents don't buy anything for me. (and sry about the double post, i just don't know how to quote two people in the same post.

Lax

VIP Member
Again, YOU WON'T NOTICE A DIFFERENCE between a 3.0 and 3.2Ghz chip. I would also never recommend an intel celery for what goet wants.